Discuss Grout mixing - what's the secret? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tfs

if you mean when applying the grout in between tiles then, you can polish with a sponge.

Ultracolour is a grity grout and many people say that it is harder than other grouts to work with. Ultracolour when mixed correctly is a rather heaxy mix in comparison to Bal for example. For this reason I use Ultracolour of floors but recently have started using Bal grout on walls as I feel its easier to work with on walls than ultracolour.

Tools for mixing should not realy be operated higher than 700rpm so select your mixing drill based on this. Most power drills will operate upto a few thousand rpm which would be too fast. As already suggested consider purchasing a proper mixing drill and paddle.

When using more or less water than recommended be sure not to over do it as incorrect ratios will weaken the mix and the grout could fail at a later date.

J

jazzhands

Thanks guys, I do have one of those paint paddles a few different drills with varying speeds so will give that a try next time. Won't be too long because I've got a kitchen and utility wall and floor to do in the next few weeks.

Incidentally I am putting down travertine effect ceramic tiles in the kitchen but what is the view on grout colour - will white end up dirty within days so be better going for a colour (beige/cream)? Don't really think grey will go with tiles due to colour though.

G

grumpygrouter

Thanks guys, I do have one of those paint paddles a few different drills with varying speeds so will give that a try next time. Won't be too long because I've got a kitchen and utility wall and floor to do in the next few weeks.

Incidentally I am putting down travertine effect ceramic tiles in the kitchen but what is the view on grout colour - will white end up dirty within days so be better going for a colour (beige/cream)? Don't really think grey will go with tiles due to colour though.
I'd be using Ultracolor Plus Jasmine for those tiles on the floor if it was me.

Reply to Grout mixing - what's the secret? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Hello, I did some reading here and there, but the opinions seem to diverge at some point and I...
Replies
Views
A question about mitering and matching epoxy colour I'll be working with some pinkish matt...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Grout mixing - what's the secret?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.