UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Grout removal hell in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

alib103

Did a job yesterday removing grout from kitchen and conservatory. Bad job, customer wanted grey grout removed and replaced with ivory, i explained all issues/problems, couldn't give a guarantee and overpriced...still wanted me to do it! Got through kitchen quick, not too bad but once in conservatory it seems like its been grouted with grout + adhesive all in one crap, went through 3 grout rakes and a multi tool and still only half done. Explained issues to customer and said i would have to come back and would have to charge another half day....still wanted me to do it, they've been very understanding and i almost feel guilty at charging again, but as i can barely feel my arms and hands, the guilt is wearing off!
Does anyone know or can recommend a really stury grout rake, reckon i need another 3 to get through rest of floor??

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Never tried a colourant before, the grey was very badly discoloured and cracked in a number of places (apparently done by a lad they knew on the cheap). It needed replacing so had to come out, would a colourant have worked?

If the job was done on the cheap, the chances are there could be underlying problems, and just by re-grouting this problem may occur again, so you may get a call back from the customer.

G

Gazzer

Never tried a colourant before, the grey was very badly discoloured and cracked in a number of places (apparently done by a lad they knew on the cheap). It needed replacing so had to come out, would a colourant have worked?

Its always worth a try. A lot less effort and so far the results I have had are good. Going from dark to light grout though is always going to be harder than the other way.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Grout removal hell in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I was hoping for some advice. I have large white tiles in my kitchen who a friend laid. I was...
Replies
Views
Does anyone have a DIY link or suggestions for removing just a single central tile from a...
Replies
Views
OK hear me out. Kitchen floor. Pro tiler. 15mm clearance from top of dishwasher to underside of...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi all, new here and I need some desperate help. Recently got my dad to tile my kitchen...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.