Guest viewing is limited

Discuss grout removal in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

Onlinetiler

Hi Michael,

I had a run of regrouting jobs recently, despite it being my least favourite thing in the world (online video blog Let me show you what it's all about to prove it!! and I have to agree with Sandy above, if there's an alternative to regrouting 5m2 of mosaic then take it.

If the customer is adamant then I wouldnt even consider regrouting without using the Fein, it's the only tool in the bag for me and I cant imagine you'd damage the tiles with it - I think you're more likely to damage them by raking to be honest.

Of course the one thing you have to be really careful of, depending on how thin the mosaics are is that you don't risk going too deep and damaging any waterproof membrane underneath or dislodging the individual tesserae. It may also be prudent to disclaim yourself from any coming loose due to poor fixing in the first place, I know that's not a very positive attitude but I've visited so many awful jobs in the past couple of years that I tend to try and avoid opening cans of worms wherever poss.

Good luck with it - let us know how it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Hi Michael,

I had a run of regrouting jobs recently, despite it being my least favourite thing in the world (online video blog Let me show you what it's all about to prove it!! and I have to agree with Sandy above, if there's an alternative to regrouting 5m2 of mosaic then take it.

If the customer is adamant then I wouldnt even consider regrouting without using the Fein, it's the only tool in the bag for me and I cant imagine you'd damage the tiles with it - I think you're more likely to damage them by raking to be honest.

Of course the one thing you have to be really careful of, depending on how thin the mosaics are is that you don't risk going too deep and damaging any waterproof membrane underneath or dislodging the individual tesserae. It may also be prudent to disclaim yourself from any coming loose due to poor fixing in the first place, I know that's not a very positive attitude but I've visited so many awful jobs in the past couple of years that I tend to try and avoid opening cans of worms wherever poss.

Good luck with it - let us know how it goes.

Love the website mate. :thumbsup:

Will follow you. :D

Last edited:
Blimey, I did a re-grout in a 4m2 shower cubicle the other week with 150x150 plain white tiles and grout (I felt like online tiler did in his vlog....very funny). Took about 4-5 hrs to grind it all out with a Worx Sonicrafter (like the fein), and it took 2 blades to do it. I'd charge for 4 blades, just to make sure you got enough!

Saying that I also bought an adaptor to fit bosch and fein blades. So I have replaced the WORX blades to a Bosch one now. When the bosch one wears out, I will be getting a fein blade for it. I removed 29 tiles with the bosch the other day, and it's still ok. So I think the sonicrafter blades are probably a bit naff in a commercial sense, and I can't wait to try the fein blades.

If you got 5sq m of mosaic, I wonder how long and how many blades it's gonna take you!! Good luck fella!! I also agree using the epoxy grout colourant is probably a much more cost effective solution. I will always try to persuade my clients to go with that option if I get asked again in future.

It's been 3 days since you posted so I guess your still at it? :lol: Couldn't resist.

Last edited:

Reply to grout removal in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
Hello, I did some reading here and there, but the opinions seem to diverge at some point and I...
Replies
Views
We inherited split face tiles on a feature wall in our ensuite. In my naivety over the last few...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
grout removal
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.