Discuss grout residue on Black porcelain tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

specren

TF
Hi Gents,

In need of much advice as possible.

I've recently just finished tiling 4 walls and a floor using 600mmx300mm black unpolished porcelain tiles. Grouted with Bal Microban which dries very slowly and Im finding it difficult to completely clean off all residue. The tiles are slightly textured but not a problem, however, its such a pain and very time consuming trying to remove this grout film. some of the grout has wiped out of the joints due to drying too slowly. (nearly 1 hr in places) but drying enough to start a wash down.

Plus, on the tiles there is a blob of what looks like silicone on the corners of some of the tiles, not all, just every 2/4 tiles.
its a real pain to remove. Im guessing it was to protect the tiles in transit, but it wont come off. (tried speaking to Topps, they were completely fazed by the situation and unhelpful)

Ok lads, do ya best............................................. and thanks in advance.

specren

TF
Hi and welcome.

Did you purchase the tiles from Topps? what are they called?

Is the residue actual residue or could it be bleed into the tile? I.E are the marks different after each wash down or are they the same size etc when the wash has dried and it begins to haze over?

Hi,

The customer purchased them from Topps. Its just a grout smear that seems to coming off, then in places just the same. I think it might be due to just more washes needed and changing water more frequently. I dont think its an issue with the tiles (cant remember the name of them).

Would a grout residue remover be the answer?

O

Old Mod

You could try emulsifying and then wet vac, don't rub with sponge. Every time u wipe with the sponge u push residue in to the tile, if u vacuum you're pulling directly off the face. Then repeat with clean water. Only polish with cloth after clean water. Had similar prob in Oct,albeit a floor, but principle is the same. I used Fila's Concentrated Acid Detergent. My floor was 300x300 Mat Black Porcelain also.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 140
R

RDTiling

You could try emulsifying and then wet vac, don't rub with sponge. Every time u wipe with the sponge u push residue in to the tile, if u vacuum you're pulling directly off the face. Then repeat with clean water. Only polish with cloth after clean water. Had similar prob in Oct,albeit a floor, but principle is the same. I used Fila's Concentrated Acid Detergent. My floor was 300x300 Mat Black Porcelain also.

They aren't Gradino Black from Tile Giant are they?

This job I'm starting on Friday is using them, as they are non slip - I'm hoping the grouting isn't going to be a nightmare. Im using grey grout with them, just like your pic!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to grout residue on Black porcelain tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I’ve got some white adhesive residue stuck to the surface of black slate effect tiles. Give them...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hello! At the completion of my new kitchen tile installation, the grout I had selected (dark...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB