Discuss Grout sinking? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jeff the tiler

Hey all, Just thought I would start a thread to see how you guys are overcoming having to grout some floors twice to get the grout flush with the tile surface.
I have tried many ways and different grouts but is seems that more and more floors I am having to go over again to get a finish that is right.

Currently I have found the best way is to have quite a strong mix, grout up and leave for circa 15 minutes or so then wash over with a wash boy which seems to smooth the joints flush. leave a while so the water dries out then do the final clean off. It not 100 percent but its the best way I have found but open to new ways to try.

beanz

TF
Berkshire
I occasionally use warm water to wash down (yes dave, to keep my hands warm lol!), but never for mixing. Always wondered if it made any difference, as it always states using cold water in the grout instructions!?! I have to say though, i never really aim to get the grout flat with the tile surface!?! I've always profiled with the sponge, and the grout finds its own depth. I've never even given it any thought, to be honest!?!

Tony73

TF
Arms
acton w3, london
I occasionally use warm water to wash down (yes dave, to keep my hands warm lol!), but never for mixing. Always wondered if it made any difference, as it always states using cold water in the grout instructions!?! I have to say though, i never really aim to get the grout flat with the tile surface!?! I've always profiled with the sponge, and the grout finds its own depth. I've never even given it any thought, to be honest!?!
Same here :thumbsup:
, cold water for mixing and warm for washing

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
When the water is really cold I do add warm water to it. I try not to be too heavy handed with the washboy and I leave it for as long as possible before using a damp (well rung out) microfibre, then I use a nice soft cotton tee shirt or dress that my two little girls have grown out of (other items of clothing can also be used!!)

D

DHTiling

When the water is really cold I do add warm water to it. I try not to be too heavy handed with the washboy and I leave it for as long as possible before using a damp (well rung out) microfibre, then I use a nice soft cotton tee shirt or dress that my two little girls have grown out of (other items of clothing can also be used!!)

oiy oiy!!! :lol:.... letting your secrets out now Sean

A nice pair of stockings would complement the dress while grouting,but watch out the knee pads might ladder them :lol:

J

jonnyc

we double grout on 90 % of jobs we do ,and it was something i never thought of till i saw a swiss tiler in action on a job over there .
it makes sense.
we will do fairly wet first grout without worrying about getting flush and leave it for however long it needs to lose some of moisture but never let it dry or get hard. then second pass with stiffer grout and get the joints nice and flush.
the other thing we do is use the air blower which makes a big difference especially on porcelain floors.
i think gary the tiler has posted a picture of one of these before , but i would say that it is one of the most useful tools i have.
I started off using them for my floor restoration as it enabled us to seal the floor same day as cleaning if it was not too porous.
ive had a few makes which all look similar and they do burn out if left running all day too many times but a vital bit of kit. if you use a good little kroll fan heater to get temp up and the blower its another plus.

beanz

TF
Berkshire
Jonny, i've seen your pics, so know it's obviously not a problem for you, but i'd be concerned that if i tried your method, i'd end up with patchy grout!?! And does the air blower not dry the grout out too quickly? I thought forcing cement to dry too quickly would cause cracking!?!?! You think you've learnt something, then someone goes and turns the whole world upside down! :D

J

jonnyc

Jonny, i've seen your pics, so know it's obviously not a problem for you, but i'd be concerned that if i tried your method, i'd end up with patchy grout!?! And does the air blower not dry the grout out too quickly? I thought forcing cement to dry too quickly would cause cracking!?!?! You think you've learnt something, then someone goes and turns the whole world upside down! :D
You won't end up with patchy grout.
you might worry that the second pass will not stick to the first but that is the point of not letting grout dry too much before second grout.
the blower I'm talking about is only circulating air and is not force drying the grout .
it would be no different than grouting outside with a bit of a breeze.
I don't pretend to know the technical workings of air and heat but have just worked out a technique that suits my business and have never had any comebacks on grout failure to date thank goodness.
In same vein I have always mixed my own grout colours from base colours for twenty years and everyone thinks I'm nuts mainly because I can't remember the mix for another job or if have to add to an area already tiled. That's just me being slack.
but I am not trained at all and taught myself as I went along.
i think I probably do a number of things that members on here might question but iam very cautious as I have done work using very expensive materials for more than twenty years .

beanz

TF
Berkshire
You won't end up with patchy grout.
you might worry that the second pass will not stick to the first but that is the point of not letting grout dry too much before second grout.
the blower I'm talking about is only circulating air and is not force drying the grout .
it would be no different than grouting outside with a bit of a breeze.
I don't pretend to know the technical workings of air and heat but have just worked out a technique that suits my business and have never had any comebacks on grout failure to date thank goodness.
In same vein I have always mixed my own grout colours from base colours for twenty years and everyone thinks I'm nuts mainly because I can't remember the mix for another job or if have to add to an area already tiled. That's just me being slack.
but I am not trained at all and taught myself as I went along.
i think I probably do a number of things that members on here might question but iam very cautious as I have done work using very expensive materials for more than twenty years .

Interesting.. And a lot of food for thought there.. Thanks :thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Grout sinking? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Been advised to move this post to the uk forum, didn’t realise it was in the USA forum Would...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB