UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Grout & Tile cleaning in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods .
My question is this ;
After grouting on large floor areas all I have ever used for final clean off is a hand held groat boy flat sponge and making passes down the length of the room covering approx 2 tile widths (lets say average 800x800 floor tiles )
With a croached back bent motion walking backwards. Then changing water and then repeating another 2 rows down the entire length of room.. repeat repeat … once tiles dried out and slight water grout haze left I then repeat whole process again to finally have a clean and finished floor ..now I’m in my maturer years its pretty back breaking hard work..
I know I should probably invest in grout boy and sponge with a handle and pole .. which is the best and what would you use and recommend.. also I’m also researching about the shark steam mop to maybe make life a lot easier for the final clean.. maybe initially pass over with my sponge pad making sure of my perfect grout smoothing and then once dried instead of repeatedly passing over the whole floor with constant water changes with grout boy sponge .. jst use the shark steam mop with its x2 spinning soft sponge heads to clean off the haze film on tiles with a little press of the water steam .. does anyone else think this could work 🤔
Sorry for the long winded post and many thanks for any responses in advance….Steve

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I don't think steam. I wouldn't go down that route on a fresh floor.

The washboys pay their way. But an actual wash human boy (or girl of course) would beat any machine or mop lol so maybe get an apprentice? Need pass on those skills man, we need more trades.

You're going diagonally with those strokes aren't you? It prevents you pulling grout back out and spreading it back on the clean tile. I think you mean you're physically going up or down a run. So might be teaching you suck eggs there.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Ps. bloody hell mate been with us nearly 10 years! Nice one.

We're the best UK tiling forum look, google says so. Haha

Screenshot_20240818_215712_Chrome.jpg

B

Bridtiler

I don't think steam. I wouldn't go down that route on a fresh floor.

The washboys pay their way. But an actual wash human boy (or girl of course) would beat any machine or mop lol so maybe get an apprentice? Need pass on those skills man, we need more trades.

You're going diagonally with those strokes aren't you? It prevents you pulling grout back out and spreading it back on the clean tile. I think you mean you're physically going up or down a run. So might be teaching you suck eggs there.

Hi Dan , thanks for getting back to me .
Yes I do the first initial cleaning of grout off with a diagonal motion across four lines to remove access grout with hand held washboy hand held float sponge and then once done an area I actually go back over joints to fine tune / smooth with jst a damp sponge to made perfect joints .. Its the once all dried I wanna make life easier removing the misty residue water so it actually takes like a couple of passes over whole floor area once grout lines are dried and stable with multiple water changes . Yeah I don’t really wanna use steam as to I think that would soften grout back up but was thinking jst the odd squirt here n there and jst let the oscillating pads of a steam shark remove the light dusty dried water residue… I’d probably best stick to groutboy only then … for an upgrade system would you recommend the “ Raimondi washboy pedalo “ ?? Or can anyone else reading this post suggest the best washboy system rather than jst my hand held method ?
Many thanks in advance,, Steve

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Grout & Tile cleaning in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi any info on get rid of epoxy grout haze on natural stone would be much appreciated. I’ve used...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.