Discuss Grouting oyster slate in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

robin-m

Hi, I'm not a pro tiler but am hoping to get a bit of advice from those who are. I'm laying about 40 sqm of oyster slate floor tiles starting with a shower room and extending into the kitchen / diner. The tradition float method of grouting would be impossible to clean up given the rough surface so I'm going to use either a grout bag or mortar / grout gun. Before doing so I have a few questions.

1. Are the guns better than a bag (I've not used either before)? I've read some good and some terrible reviews on the guns.
2. After piping the joints how long do you leave the grout before smoothing the joint? I've seen a you tube vid where the guy wipes the joint with a sponge straight after piping in the grout which seems to smear the grout over the face of the tile.
3. Whats the best way of smoothing the joint

Sort of related, the shower room is a wet area. I've installed a wet deck and tanked the whole room (screed floor). Should I use silicone in the envelope cuts and to seal in the drain or just grout the joints like the rest?

Thanks
Robin

R

robin-m

I've finished the tiling but still need to clean, seal then grout. When the tiles were ordered the supplier also included sealant which is LTP colour enhancing. I've tried it on a few offcuts and really don't like the fact that it darkens the stone as if it were wet. I believe that Lithofin stain stop impregnating sealer can be applied without changing the colour. Is this the case before I rush out and buy a test can or, can someone recommend an alternative?

I'v attached a picture showing the colour that I want to preserve.

Thanks.

IMG_0097.JPG

If my wife ever picks ungraded tiles again I'm getting a divorce!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Grouting oyster slate in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Help! Advice needed please! I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation that my partner is...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB