Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Grouting pitted travertine in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

diytrainee

Hello all

I'm in the process of tiling my kitchen splash back. They are travertine tile that is pitted and riven.

Could any of you offer any advice or guidance on how to grout these tiles as I suspect my normal grouting process will fill much of the holes in the tiles which I'd like to keep.

Pic attached.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0080.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 115
D

diytrainee

Make sure you seal prior to grouting and after. As julian said fill the holes with grout or buy a resin filler to match the trav.

Many thanks for your replies. I'm surprised by your responses however they make perfect sense. One question if I seal the tiles before grouting wont that stop the grout from adhering? or will it adhere fine anyway.Why would I seal before and after grouting?

Cheers

C

Concrete guy

I used to fit these for an upmarket kitchen firm a fair few years ago, they insisted the voids in the stone was ungrouted.

I used to use a pointing gun and would combine wall and floor grout to give a nice consistency that was able to fill the larger voids but still had a creamy consistency for a nice finish.

I'd dry mix BAL white or ivory wall grout with BAL Ivory wide joint grout 50/50. Thoroughly mix dry then add to water in another bucket and mix mechanically. Used to give a lovely finish and leave all the interest in the stone.

In areas behind hobs/cookers and sinks it wasn't uncommon to fit a sheet of glass over the times to keep things clean but still retain the look.

Reply to Grouting pitted travertine in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Been advised to move this post to the uk forum, didn’t realise it was in the USA forum Would...
Replies
Views
After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
Hi all. After living in my property for over 7 years I've recently discovered the type of tile...
Replies
Views
A question about mitering and matching epoxy colour I'll be working with some pinkish matt...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Grouting pitted travertine
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Canada Tile Advice
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond