Discuss Grouting wet room floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

CompleteNovice

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone could recommend the best type/brand of grout to use, as I'm re-grouting the section under my shower in our wet room?

We bought the house a little while ago and noticed that there was an issue with water seeping up through the grout, clearly getting trapped under the tiles. If we left it for a few days it would dry out and there are no signs of it leaking into the room below.

Just to give you a clear picture: our wet room is in the attic conversion and the section under the shower appears to have a basin under the tiles.

We employed someone to re-grout the effected area but it ended up worse than before. So now we've de-grouted it ourselves. We also noticed that whoever fitted it left the tile spacers in. They also left a tub of grout behind which is cement based. So I'm planning on removing the tile spacers and I think that an epoxy grout, possibly coupled with a sealant (as suggested on another forum to someone else) might be the way to go.

Any thoughts or insights would be gratefully recieved.

C

CompleteNovice

I agree with above, install issue, movement etc. Do you have any idea what make of dec was used and the tile size, adhesive etc

thank you both for your replies. I've no idea how it's been tanked, the adhesive used or anything like that I'm afraid. We bought the place, everything seemed fine and after a few weeks it became apparent that there was an issue. I've attached a photo of the area - as I said we've de-grouted it now. I'm not sure what would be best. I thought that if we try re-grouting with an epoxy grout then the seepage might stop. One of the issues is the power of the water because it does seem to erode the grout. I was also wondering if the tile spacers having been left in might have caused a bit of a problem?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 523
The quality of the installation is poor from a glance at the photo, I wouldn't go re-grouting it if water is coming through.. it will be getting it in somewhere and staying around lower areas, the floor may be tanked which may explain as to why it isn't showing below.

As Plan Tec said ' I would rip out & start a fresh'

C

CompleteNovice

Thank you all again - it looks like we should be looking to employ someone to have a proper look. I haven't tried lifting a tile out - bit concerned that I could damage it and then would have to think about adhesive and somehow putting it back (I really am a complete novice)... But I guess if we're now thinking that we should get all the tiles lifted and the job kinda re-done the it can't really harm to have a look.

Does anyone have any advice on what this kind of job might cost? A ball park figure would be really helpful as a baseline comparison for any quotes we get in now.

Thank you all again - it looks like we should be looking to employ someone to have a proper look. I haven't tried lifting a tile out - bit concerned that I could damage it and then would have to think about adhesive and somehow putting it back (I really am a complete novice)... But I guess if we're now thinking that we should get all the tiles lifted and the job kinda re-done the it can't really harm to have a look.

Does anyone have any advice on what this kind of job might cost? A ball park figure would be really helpful as a baseline comparison for any quotes we get in now.

As Bri said, we don't discuss pricing in the open forum. But if you have a scout around on here you shall find a professional tiler around your area.
Good luck & hope you get it sorted

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
After looking at the photo it's clear to start with that the tiles are not cut to follow the falls on the tray. If you don't know whether/how/where it was tanked it's difficult to ascertain where water could be going to and coming from, but I would think that if you say water is coming back up through the grout then there is standing water underneath the tiles.

Is the water coming through the grout around the drain?

Leaving the spacers in certainly won't help matters as the grout is not waterproof and therefore makes the depth of the grout far less than it should be and the water has less distance to travel until it's potentially underneath the tiles.

If you want to PM me I'm in-between Leeds/Wakefield and could maybe pop in and have a look at it for you

C

CompleteNovice

After looking at the photo it's clear to start with that the tiles are not cut to follow the falls on the tray. If you don't know whether/how/where it was tanked it's difficult to ascertain where water could be going to and coming from, but I would think that if you say water is coming back up through the grout then there is standing water underneath the tiles.

Is the water coming through the grout around the drain?

Leaving the spacers in certainly won't help matters as the grout is not waterproof and therefore makes the depth of the grout far less than it should be and the water has less distance to travel until it's potentially underneath the tiles.

If you want to PM me I'm in-between Leeds/Wakefield and could maybe pop in and have a look at it for you

Thanks John - that's a really detailed reply and very helpful. I'll probably PM you today after I've had a chance to chat with my other half. To answer your question the water has come through the grout around the drain as well as elsewehere.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Grouting wet room floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hello, I did some reading here and there, but the opinions seem to diverge at some point and I...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Our tiler has done a really amazing job with our kitchen flooring, but has used a...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB