UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Guaranteeing Work. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I'd guarantee fixtures and fittings for 12 months, the adhesives and grouts are usually guaranteed by the manufacturer (for discolouration and tiles falling off etc) BAL's guarantee is for 10 years, like some others.

Then the labour is guaranteed for 12 months too although even after that period I used to say I'm your first port of call, and if it's a couple of years down the line and something happens, still don't hesitate to call me.

After-all, this customer will be your customer for life, so if in 5 years something happens, you can either price for repair, or repair at your cost if it's your fault and you feel 5 years later it still shold be in A1 condition.

Each job would be so different though it's hard to list on paper what a guarantee would cover from a labour point of view.

C

Concept PHT

I have on my business card 'All Work Guaranteed' but i never tell the customer for how long it is guaranteed (and so far noone has asked). I don't think it would matter how long after the job a customer rang me up, I would repair any fault that was mine at no additional cost. Good customer care goes a long way in this game!
Of course, but you do get people that try it on because they have wrecked the floor. And I can't be doing with that. :)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Think of it this way.

If it's down to the customer, they will want it repairing. If you're their tiler, you could be for life, so charge them for it and do the job, it's just another paying job, what's the cause of the job matter for? ...but explain throwing a wobbler because the milk ran out and slamming the fridge door which knocked the big spuds saucepan on the damn ceramics isn't "workmanship related".

You guarantee fixtures, fittings and workmanship. Not the products, they're guaranteed by the manufacturer (adhesives, grouts) but not the tiles, no tile gets replaced at the cost of the factory.

Topps Tiles do a buy-back service and take a small loss overall on the tiles that come back and are not the current shade and can't be sold on. But they gain when a customer breaks a tile as now they come back to the shop to see if they have the tiles still, they don't, they sold them off in job-lots, and now the customer's looking around the shop floor again for a whole new load.

Whatever the cause of the fault, providing you've done a good job, you'll gain out of going back to your customers. you will find the odd door strip has just been ran over a few times with the kids toy Quad, just tell them to buy a new strip and you'll stick it on when you're next passing. You might find the customer has slammed the door and a whole corners worth of grout has cracked, tell them pay for the grout and you'll pop by one day and do it.

Don't bend over backwards but never loose your customers.

It's just business.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Guaranteeing Work. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
I need advice on score and snap cutting of large porcelain tiles, lets say, over 1000 mm long...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Just wondered what would be best? The original tiles had a few hairline cracks from the house...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.