Discuss Hall Setting out in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Colour Republic

What do you think guys?

This is for a hall we've gotta do. Tiles are 600x600 Compac Quartz. The hall has all sorts of twists and turns, you can see in the bottom half of the pic I played with 400x400's but discounted that idea.

Any ideas how the setting out could be improved?

tileset600.jpg

C

Colour Republic

Have you thought about diamond set....?

Created on iPhone.....

The cuts are akward enough as it is you sod!

This is the tile
Colours, formats and finishes QUARTZ COMPAC. Astral Titáneo

I always see diamond set as a more traditional patten, don't know why it just has that effect on me so I can't think i'd set a moden tile floor tile on the diamond. Or don't you get that feeling?

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Colour Republic

I used the 600's in the bathroom

RIMG_0433.jpg

The same tile but the hall is grey quartz with a mirror fleck, instead of white with cloured glass flecks.

As you can see the joints were 1mm to minimise grout lines. So the reason for 600's in the hall is also to minimise joints and appear as one solid floor (grout will be grey glitter)

Would you guys still go diamond?

Thanks for the replies so far guys, good to see your views ;)

C

Colour Republic

Carpet?

That is a right pig of a shape! I think you have the best compromise there as long as you can avoid a tiny slither cut in the far left hand side of the pic. Are the walls anything like square?

The walls are square although one wall looks out on my drawing it's not. which slither are you refering to? the one in the door way? i could lose that but then the tiles wouldn't be centered as you walk through the fron door.

C

Colour Republic

Got to say that I wouldn't go 1mm joint unless Im missing something? Min 3mm for floors.

I still think that you would be fine with the lay out that you have shown in the pic. Horses for courses I suppose.

I know, I know. I'm taking this one on the chin if it goes **** up. All in the name of design.

Sub-floor is concrete been down some 30 odd years with no cracks. In the bathroom I decoupled and shall do the same for the hall. It's a risk but i'll blame Compac if it goes wrong as it say's in spanish 1mm joints. At least think that's what it says as my Spanish isn't very good :lol:

C

Colour Republic

Fair enough, I thought you would have known that. Sorry for teaching you to suck eggs.

No not at all, I would advise the same.

But now and again you take a calculated risk. It's not something I would do normally and if I thought there was a chance of failure I wouldn't.

In addition i'm also taking a risk with the kerapoxy design as it states not to be used under 3mm I believe... Just checked the data sheets and it doesn't state that as it goes. Minimum joint width is not noted but maximum is 7mm, although kerapoxy says 1.5mm-6mm. Not sure where I saw the 3mm figure now?

Not sure how much glitter would be on show on a 1mm joint anyway so may just opt for a silver grount

R

Rich

That is strange, I could have sworn that the Kerapoxy states a min of 3mm and the Design can cope with a thinner joint than that? I wonder where we have got that from.

By tho look of those tiles and the fact that you are using the glitter grout, I think that the joints will blend in so much that the floor will look like one solid field.

Would like to see some pics when its all done, should look really smart.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hall Setting out in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I live in Cyprus. Bought a new build top floor flat a couple of years ago with a roof...
Replies
Views
C
Evening, hope all is well. Im Looking for a bit of advice regarding setting out on the window...
Replies
Views
Afternoon guys, In the process of tiling my bathroom floor and half height walls at the moment...
Replies
Views
M
Hi Everyone, This is my first post. I'm looking to tile around my cloakroom corner sink with...
Replies
Views
Mav3000
M

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Hall Setting out
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.