UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss hardi aqua backerboard in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Aston

no pete
cement backer boards are not fully water proof. they will eventually absorb water all the way through whereas wedi and marmox dont. that is why its not actually 'belt and braces' to tank cement based boards, its the way they should really be treated in continous wet areas.

i know plasterboards if tanked are suitable at times but, if they do get wet or damp even via the rear side, then they run the risk of mould but as you know cement based boards dont suffer from mould and carry more weight so i personally would always go for a cement based board over plasterboard, everytime. if the budget is there, then i would always go for wedi/marmox/dukka ahead of everything due to being water proof, stronger in tile weight capacity , easier to carry and cut and the big thing now, thermally efficient!!

ed

A

Aston

hi pete,

heres a clip from a document i put up a while back on hardie backer board...theres a sentence from their literature.. thay says ''unaffected by water for short periods of time'', so even though they are in a round about way suggesting that they are unaffected by water, they make sure they cover them selves with the added line of 'short periods of time ;0)

HARDIE BACKER BOARDSTechnical helpline 0800 917 3975 W Loading James Hardie Europe JamesHardie.co.uk ...

. Hardiebacker boards are cement based boards containing fibre cement. (No mesh)

. They contain ‘Mould block technology’ and come with a 10 year guarantee!
. Boards are unaffected by water for ‘short periods of time’ and are dimensionally stable, unlike plywood boards which can rot, warp and disintigrate over time.

. HardieBoard has a ‘EZ Grid Pattern’ inpregnated onto its surface to ensure a better bond with adhesive.
. Hardieboards come in 2 sizes, Hardibacker 250 and Hardibacker 500.
. Cut boards by using a hardie scribe firmly applied approx 3 times and then snap the boards.
. WARNING!HARDIEBACKER BOARDS CONTAIN SILLICA DUST! – Always wear a mask/respirator and reduce the amount of dust by using dust reducing tools ie shears, jigsaw etc & cutting out side.

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
hi pete i use the knauf cement boards,i find them much easier to cut than hardi

i use them on there own in wet areas and i rarely tank them,i have a sample of a peice of board which is set in a clear plastic framed water tank it has mosaics attached...also the adhesive lines are visible and also tile is grouted it has been in this box for years

it hasnt broken down,swelled..tiles havent come off,grout hasnt discoloured either

i agree its probably not as good as product as wedi etc but i find it affordable on my jobs and for domestic showers etc i am happy to install it as it is.

just my opinion

P

Perry

hi pete i use the knauf cement boards,i find them much easier to cut than hardi

i use them on there own in wet areas and i rarely tank them,i have a sample of a peice of board which is set in a clear plastic framed water tank it has mosaics attached...also the adhesive lines are visible and also tile is grouted it has been in this box for years

it hasnt broken down,swelled..tiles havent come off,grout hasnt discoloured either

i agree its probably not as good as product as wedi etc but i find it affordable on my jobs and for domestic showers etc i am happy to install it as it is.

just my opinion

yes it is unaffected by water but water can pass through it so can get to the substrate behind they seem to forget to tell you that lol this what knaff aquapanel say as i said only used it once so i am a newb lol

Resistant to mould and mildew,
Aquapanel will not deteriorate
in water. It retains its strength even
if fully immerse

A purpose designed tile backing
board, Aquapanel solves the
problems experienced when
traditional backing materials get
wet. So no more costly call backs to
replace rotten or damaged boards

PS Jamie you should be at work to

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to hardi aqua backerboard in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
hardi aqua backerboard
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.