UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Hardibacker in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

figaro

I've got a small floor area to tile for my daughter.The floor is weroc but she dosen't want the edge to high by using ply.(it's a kitchen diner area) So i suggested 6mm hardibacker but i've never fitted this before so what's the best way to fit it. Thnx Paul.

Probably be easier to convince her to have a bit of vinyl lay instead

Last edited by a moderator:
O

oogabooga

Rob Z, yep similar construction techniques from what I can tell, although I notice in residential dwellings you guys don't have any nogs/dwangs (horizontal members) in your wall framing.

It's funny but when we get visitors from the UK or Europe, they tend to remark about the construction being similar to the US and that our television programming is full of US shows. I'm never sure whether they're meaning that as a putdown or simply an observation, as most Europeans I've met are really, really square! (not brits:smilewinkgrin:)

R

Rob Z

Hi Rob,

The horizontal members in the stud cavities are called fire blocking here, and generally (in some markets) they are not installed as long as the holes in the plates are filled with rock wool or some other material to act as a draftstopper (as per the fire code). The fireblocking was standard in almost all houses I have worked in up through the 80's....sometime after that time it seems that the practice dropped off.

I hear and read all the comments about how things are built in the US, and my observation is that there is so much variety over the 50 states and for 300+ million people that it is impossible to generalize about anything. Some standard practices are very good, others are so-so, and some are mass-market driven crap. It is the latter stuff that ensures that we have good remodeling work to do.

Most of the TV shows that I have seen are insipid, and don't really reflect reality (I know that you know this). Some of the stuff I see on them makes me :mad2: .

C

Consett John

just had 1st day of 2-week PTS Harlow training course. We covered floor substrates and only ply was mentioned. I asked if backerboard could be used in place of ply to keep height down and was told no, ntg better than ply.
I appreciate backerboard does not add strength/rigidity to a wooden suspended floor, in what circumstances would you use it and is it widely used?
I have just used hardi backer in an en suite due to the fact that any water ingress would not result in the tiles lifting also can be used on kitchen floors as a failsafe against washing machine leaks

J

JamesHardie

View attachment Installation-Single Pages LOW RES.pdf

At the end of the day, the floor is only as strong as the joists + subfloor. HardieBacker is not a structural board, but it provides a proper base for tiling on. Here are the installation instructions for download. It is a great replacement for plywood in a wet area as it doesn't expand and contract with exposure to moisture. The 6mm was originally designed to help minizme the transition between floors.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hardibacker in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.