Discuss hardie backer bed adhesive question? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

mjd

Hi,

Been browsing around the forum and see there is a lot of good info here, just looking for some advice on how best to tile my porch.

The floor is chipboard approx 2m2, no detectable deflection, but is not 100% level or flat. I've bought 300x600 porcalain tiles and am hoping to get a pretty crisp finish.

I bought some 6mm hardie backer boards, they seemed a better option for ironing out the minor deviations and would not cause a big height difference with the hallway.

Now I'm slightly confused as the instructions state to use a non-flexible adhesive to bed the boards. this goes against my understanding to use flexi adhesive on wood based floors?

Normally I do a lot of research first but just went with the shop's suggestion this time and was sold Mapei Keraquick, I ended up reading up on it anyway I reckon I should also use their Latex PLus product with it and have bought some, any issues with that?

I also was sold Mapei Ultracolor plus, is this grout ok for what I am planning?

(Note that the shop thought I was overboarding with ply, I only decided on the hardie backer once I had ripped up the old tiles and saw the uneven floor)

Thanks in advance.

G

Gazzer

You will be fine with what you have. You need to glue and screw the boards.

"Fast setting polymer modified flexible S1 adhesive for fixing all types of ceramic, porcelain & glass tiles, mosaics and non-moisture sensitive natural stone to internal and external walls and floors. Suitable for plywood overlaid substrates. Mix with LATEX PLUS for increased flexibility to S2, for tiling to other timber substrates and fixing resin backed glass tiles."

M

mjd

Is this chipboard onto joists.. ?

Yes, chipboard onto joists. Floor is pretty stable as it's right next to the exterior wall and there is an access hatch in the floor so it has extra noggins.

I don't think the technical department at hardie have a clue tbh....QUOTE]
got to say, the girl who answered first certainly didn't come across as knowledgable.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to hardie backer bed adhesive question? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm planning on tiling my porch, and the tiles and adhesive will take up around 13mm of height...
Replies
Views
I'm about to tile my kitchen with 600mm x 600mm porcelain tiles. I am tiling onto a subfloor...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Will I be setting myself up to fail if I use the Dunlop CF-03 Flexible Fast Set Tile...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB