Discuss Hardie Backer - fixing and cutting in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
That makes holes tricky. I have to cut to fit a Geberit Wall Frame so I guess a will have to just cut a V shape around them? I have now cut out the plaster board on this as there was a very slight movement around the holes where there is no fixing to the frame.

Attachments

• 20131118_150303_resized copy.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 113
If that's the only place there's movement, I'd leave it. Once you bolt the pan on, there will be no movement there mate. ;)

I thought as there was some movement, when the pan is tightened the plaster board may have moved a touch and cracked the tiles. Plus my plumber said he had never seen one before that wasnt done with a layer of ply. As I have never done one before I thought I had better do a belt and braces. Would have been very disappointing to crack the tiles!

beanz

TF
Berkshire
I thought as there was some movement, when the pan is tightened the plaster board may have moved a touch and cracked the tiles. Plus my plumber said he had never seen one before that wasnt done with a layer of ply. As I have never done one before I thought I had better do a belt and braces. Would have been very disappointing to crack the tiles!

I guess that depends on your definition of a very small amount of movement... Once you've added the adhesive and tile, there will probably be no movement, but only you can really make that call, as only you now how much movement there is.
What tiles are you fitting?

M

Mr Tiler

That makes holes tricky. I have to cut to fit a Geberit Wall Frame so I guess a will have to just cut a V shape around them? I have now cut out the plaster board on this as there was a very slight movement around the holes where there is no fixing to the frame.

it looks a tidy job as it is mate but why couldn't you of just fixed another 2 pieces of the timber into the frame above and below the soil pipe before fixing the p.b to be certain of no movement? if you know what I mean (most don't... sometimes not even me lol).

I guess that depends on your definition of a very small amount of movement... Once you've added the adhesive and tile, there will probably be no movement, but only you can really make that call, as only you now how much movement there is.
What tiles are you fitting?

Just didnt want to take a chance. Wouldnt want to have to make it good afterwards.
Fitting these:Woodgrain Bayur Ceniza | Topps Tiles

it looks a tidy job as it is mate but why couldn't you of just fixed another 2 pieces of the timber into the frame above and below the soil pipe before fixing the p.b to be certain of no movement? if you know what I mean (most don't... sometimes not even me lol).

Yes, that would have been a sound idea but didnt occur to me. How would you fix ?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hardie Backer - fixing and cutting in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just wondered what would be best? The original tiles had a few hairline cracks from the house...
Replies
Views
I’ve got a job using marble geometric mosaics about 10 mm thick. I’ve tried several blades to...
Replies
Views
I'm about to tile my kitchen with 600mm x 600mm porcelain tiles. I am tiling onto a subfloor...
Replies
Views
Beginner DIY Tiler, I'm contemplating drilling (with ceramic tile carbide tipped drill bits)...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB