Discuss Hardiebacker 6mm adhesive and screws ?? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

E

Elliot

Hi there,
this is my first post and just like to say hi and thank you for this very informative forum but just wanted to ask 2 questions. i will be tiling are upstairs bathroom, its a very small area only 2.5 m2. im going to lay hardibacker 6mm on top of the wooden floorboard however i was just wondering if i would be able to use the following adhesive to sandwich the hardibacker to the floorboards - Mapei Super Flexible White Adhesive 20kg . purchased from B&Q at £30.98, i would post a link but im unable to.

i was already going to purchase Mapei Super Flexible White Adhesive 20kg already to stick the tiles to the hardiebacker 6mm however i will end up with half a bag leftover so i wanted to know if i could use the other half of the bag to stick the hardibacker to the floor boards instead of having to purchase a mortar.

I was also curious about the screws, im aware hardibacker supply their own screws however i find them to be pretty dear and i have a feeling 30mm will be too long, read most places 25mm is sufficent and safer. wanted to know if The Ulti-Mate Woodscrew - 3.5 x 25mm - Pack 200 - purchased from ironmongery Direct (only£2.25 a box) would be sufficient for the job to securely attach the hardibacker to the floor while its wet.
its a zinc plated screw for exterior use i do believe and personally i love it, such an easy screw to use and the head cant get damaged at all, its goes flush easily in wood and i imagine it would do the same in cement board.

Appreciate any advice or opinions, thnx

W

White Room

Personally I would'nt be paying £30 a bag for adhesive, go to a good tile supplier where you should get a better deal.

I would use a single part flexible for sticking the hardie boards down and the tiles, use a grey adhesive if your going to use a dark grout...white if your grout is going to be a light colour.

I use screwfix Turbo screws 25mm and about 8 in a sheet of hardie.

B&Q do a scrim tape for hardie which dark grey in colour and is the cheapest I've seen for your joints in the hardie.

S

Stef

ah screwfix yeh, just purchased a pack of the turbo stainless stell screws, much cheaper for the quantity thnx for the advice. would you be able to link a well reviewed flexible single part white adhesive, i cant seem to find one cheaper than that from b&q

I had bother with those screws, the heads were snapping off them..
Use Turbo Golds for your Hardie..
As said above go to a tile shop & purchase adhesive, B&Q is a last resort..

S

Stef

Used the Turbo Gold screws on your advice for first time on hardie and they worked a treat. Cheers

They are good screws John,
I carry the big red trade case of turbo golds for any joiner work etc & buy single packs of the 25mm for Hardie.
I've never broken a turbo gold in all the years of using them..
I use a makita impact driver & they go into the Hardie with ease.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hardiebacker 6mm adhesive and screws ?? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, Will I be setting myself up to fail if I use the Dunlop CF-03 Flexible Fast Set Tile...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I want to tile over a completely new floor. New floor joists have been installed with...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB