Discuss Have I Got This Right ? Adhesive/Grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

kevg

Will be moving in to my new home soon and I will have 5 rooms (floors) to tile. It will be a DIY project. I have done many walls before but never a floor so will take it easy and go slow and be very careful. I'm trying to save a few bob so will just start with the bedroom En-Suite and if I mess it up I'll get someone in.

1. The Kitchen and downstairs toilet has a concrete floor and we will most likely be using a very light coloured Porcelain tile or a light marble/travertine.

Would the Mapei Rapid set be ok for concrete floor ? and this will be all I need ?

2. The 3 rooms upstairs are a bathroom and 2 En-suites. They are all floored with Ply (I think, its a new build house) one will be doe with the Prestige Stone Cappuccino Marble and the other two rooms with a Prestige Stone Radiant Travertine.

Would the Latex Plus with Keraquick be suitable/the best on the floor ? and this will be all I need ?

For the downstairs (1.) do you think the Mapei Silver Grey or Manhattan 2000 coloured grout would be ok, with it being a Kitchen area I would like to try and stay away from white so that the grout doesnt get dirty easily (does that make sense)

For the upstairs (2.) do you think the Mapei White or Jasmine coloured grout would be fine ?

Totally appreciate any advice, thanks.

K

kevg

hi kev, if your floors are ply you want to over board then with 6mm hardie backer or similar. Kerraquick aould be my choice for all floors. Jumping the gun with the grout colours, wait til its tiled then decide

Thanks, when you say Keraquick for all floors, I assume you mean Keraquick without the Latex Plus for concrete, only use the Latex Plus for the wooden floors ?

K

kevg

you can use keraquick without the latex plus, but there is a cheaper alternative if you dont need to, it called Mapeker. exactly the same uses as keraquick however you cant add the latex too it. but tbh if yuo can price in the latex then it would be worth using.

as its a new house then a de-coupling membrane would be a very good idea all round. and backerboard upstairs too.

Use the membrane on the concrete floor ? even with how good the adhesive is ?

If so, I imagine its ply flooring to start with, then adhesive, then membrane then adhesive then tile ? and the same for the concrete floor ?

C

cornish_crofter

If I decide to use the membrane, would this be suitable ?

Schluter Ditra Matting

If not, anyone have any advice on which to buy ?

That matting would be more than adequte. it is also a tanking membrane. There is another decoupler that is cheaper by the m. My local CTD have it on offer but you have to buy a 30m roll I believe. They're selling it for around £150 plus VAT, which works out £5 per metre. I don't know if that is actually waterproof as the Shluter is.

As Kilty says, the decoupling membrane is only necessary if you go for underfloor heating or if your screeds are very new. In my case the screed was only a week old and the concrete underneath was only a couple of weeks old. After consulting on here I was advised to use it and it worked out quite economic to use the Ditra as I could buy it by the m and it doubled as a tanking membrane. It is for a wetroom.

In your case, I assume the concrete will be over 7 weeks old, in which case it will be over the thermal shock etc, and hence any screed on top, whilst it may have hairline cracks in it, will hopefully have finished moving. Hence no decoupling membrane will be necessary.

Moving onto the wooden floors upstairs. As well as fitting the 6mm hardibacker onto it before tiling, it is essential that the floorsare well screwed down. To this end it would be worth looking for any loose boards etc. In fact, I may go so far as to say that if they are nailed, it would be advisable to screw them down as well, minding pipes etc.

If you are tiling a bathroom, you will need to look at a tanking method. The cheapest is something like the Weber tanking kit. If you want to go for a membrane then there are a number of options. Ditra do one, and so do Dural/Tilux etc. The decoupling membrane probably won't help here assuming you tile onto the Hardibacker 6mm board.

K

kevg

That matting would be more than adequte. it is also a tanking membrane. There is another decoupler that is cheaper by the m. My local CTD have it on offer but you have to buy a 30m roll I believe. They're selling it for around £150 plus VAT, which works out £5 per metre. I don't know if that is actually waterproof as the Shluter is.

As Kilty says, the decoupling membrane is only necessary if you go for underfloor heating or if your screeds are very new. In my case the screed was only a week old and the concrete underneath was only a couple of weeks old. After consulting on here I was advised to use it and it worked out quite economic to use the Ditra as I could buy it by the m and it doubled as a tanking membrane. It is for a wetroom.

In your case, I assume the concrete will be over 7 weeks old, in which case it will be over the thermal shock etc, and hence any screed on top, whilst it may have hairline cracks in it, will hopefully have finished moving. Hence no decoupling membrane will be necessary.

Moving onto the wooden floors upstairs. As well as fitting the 6mm hardibacker onto it before tiling, it is essential that the floorsare well screwed down. To this end it would be worth looking for any loose boards etc. In fact, I may go so far as to say that if they are nailed, it would be advisable to screw them down as well, minding pipes etc.

If you are tiling a bathroom, you will need to look at a tanking method. The cheapest is something like the Weber tanking kit. If you want to go for a membrane then there are a number of options. Ditra do one, and so do Dural/Tilux etc. The decoupling membrane probably won't help here assuming you tile onto the Hardibacker 6mm board.

Thanks.

So for upstairs I wouldnt use the Schluter Ditra matting ? If its a tanking membrane, I would have thought that would be ok ?

i.e. I would have my Hardie Backer on top of the flooring, then something like white Keraquick with Latex Plus, then the layer of the Ditra matting, then another layer of the Keraquick with the tile finally on top ?

Or am I way off ?

Reply to Have I Got This Right ? Adhesive/Grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Have I Got This Right ? Adhesive/Grout
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.