Discuss Have read not to tile onto hardwall - what alternatives? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

rupert

Hi All,

Re-doing a shower room. All other walls are stud wall's covered with aquapanel.

However the back external facing wall is breeze block with hardwall finish.

The old tiler tiled small format tiles on these 7 years ago and they held up pretty well. However I've been reading around on the forum and people are saying it is not a suitable substrate, even the manufacturer is saying the same.

Now i'm going to be using large format porcelain tiles , 600*300, so skimming the wall is out of the question as I believe the skim will not support these tiles.

So what are the alternatives? Space is tight so I dont want to place aquapanel ontop of the hardwall. Should I take off all the hardwall to the breeze block then mechanically fix aquapanel onto it?

I'd like to avoid rendering the breeze block if possible, as I've seen it crack due to not controlling moisture properly, even when done by a pro. So dont want it cracking after its been tiled and then risk cracking the tiles.

Cheers.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Have read not to tile onto hardwall - what alternatives? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all - I have some small format ceramic tiles (10x10x1cm) to use as a splash back around the...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB