Discuss Have you used these ? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazzer

From Ukplumbersforum
"TEST REPORT DATED 10/12/12
My first impressions of these fixings were that they looked good and could be an answer for fixing wash basins to plasterboard walls as the traditional Fischer type fixings are not designed for this. However after extensively testing these fixings, I was disappointed in their performance and found them wanting in several areas.

The size of drilled hole that is required for these fixings is too large to make them practical. Drilling such a large hole in a tiled wall is a weak spot where in a bathroom water can penetrate. Furthermore, regardless of the brand/newness/sharpness of the drill bit used, a burr is left where the drill bit bursts through the plasterboard. This burr makes it difficult to turn the arms round and the fixing has to be inserted deeper into the hole to allow the arms to turn. Compression against this burr is a weak point. I lost a few fixings inside the cavity trying to get the arms to turn.

If the wall is damp or wet, the fixings lose their grip and it becomes impossible to turn the arms.

If the wall is uneven as is the case in most bathrooms, the arms will not turn evenly.

The supplied bolts are far too short for most plumbing applications. I had to purchase a bag of longer bolts to allow testing. A bolt has to be long enough to go through a washer set, then the thickness of a basin before entering the fixing itself. I eventually found M8 screwed rod cut to various lengths to be a more viable alternative.

The slotted screw heads used to turn the arms are far too soft and easily "chewed" by any screwdriver without much effort. An Allen key type head would be far stronger and more suitable.

The arms do not always turn to engage the wall. With such a large hole having to be drilled in the wall, if the fixing does not work properly, then a hole is left that is useless for anything else.

CONCLUSION:
I had high hopes for these fixings, but was disappointed in their application and performance. Furthermore they are far too large to be practical for me to use in a bathroom, as an area such as this requires holes to be kept to a minimum. The arms do not turn as intended on many occasions and I recommend a design overhaul so that the arms spring out like a toggle bolt after being inserted into the wall. Overall not a good experience and I wouldn't use them again."

"I'm reviewing the new Gripit fixings which are made my a British company based in Wiltshire.

They come in various sizes relating to the weight they will hold and require a 20mm spade bit for the brown fixings and 25mm for the larger blue ones.
When I first saw them I wasn't sure what to make of them, they seem very over engineered but I can see a lot of time and money has gone into developing them. I hung a small radiator with them and they did work reasonably well but it was a little scary drilling such big holes in case they didn't work. Once drilled you tap the housing home and then with a tiny screwdriver you turn the small screws to open up the 'propeller blades' against the back of the plasterboard. I did lose one down the back and at over £1 each it could get expensive! This leaves you with a plastic thread inbedded in the wall for your bolt.

The rad did stay up but it was no better or worse than the cheaper cavity wall anchors, also I don't believe these are suitable for tiled walls as the bolts are too short and there is no mention of tiles in their instructions.

It will be handy to have a bag of these kicking around the van for situations where a plasterboard fixing has been ripped out and enlarged the hole too much for a normal fixing, but the price kind of puts me off using them in everyday situations."

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Have you used these ? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am in the middle of renovating my bathroom. First of its kind for me! The walls were...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB