Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Hellingly mental asylum. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

enduro

Wont be long until developers knock this building down for new houses...Check out Hellingly mental asylum on face book for some great photo of the fantastic building..and my earlier post on here. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Hellingly mental asylum 1.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Hellingly mental asylum 2.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 27
  • Hellingly mental asylum 4.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Hellingly mental asylum 5.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Hellingly mental asylum 6.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 29
E

enduro

Hellingly Hospital was a large mental hospital in the village of Hellingly, east of Hailsham, in East Sussex, England. The hospital, also known as East Sussex County Asylum or just Hellingly, was opened in 1903. Its architect was GT Hine, one of the great asylum architects of the era.
The hospital boasted its own railway line, the Hellingly Hospital Railway, used principally for transport of coal. This branch line led from the main line to the boilerhouse. The hospital also had a vast laundry, ball room, patients' shop, sewing rooms, nurses home, extensive grounds, and an advanced utilities network for its time, including a large boilerhouse and a water tower. It followed the compact arrow plan for the main hospital, with separate villas surrounding this.
The majority of the hospital closed throughout 1994, however, and to this day much of the 25.4 hectare site stands derelict and extremely run down, after suffering repeated vandalism and multiple arson attacks. The hospital is popular with Urban Explorers, not because it has many hospital items remaining but because of its size, severe dereliction and its dilapidation. The main hall/ballroom is a fine example, and is one of the hospital's most recognisable features

E

enduro

This was said by a member of staff who worked there.
Sally Chewter It wasn't ugly. It was a nice example of Victorian archictectural style, set in absolutely lovely grounds. I worked there for only 18 months, but there were patients who had lived there over 60 years and had to be uprooted when it closed. All those people chucked out and staff made redundant - only for it to stand and rot for decades. THAT's the insane part.

C

Colour Republic

This gives you an idea of the scale of this place, it's huge

hellingley.jpg

I did think it was criminal that it was left to rot and is getting knocked down with plenty of other beautiful asylums (which should be all rights be listed) but i'm starting to think Britan is trying to erase part of its murky history.

I tiled 2 kitchens the other week in a complex for the metally ill, the complex was very nice, most 'patients' lived in their own flat or shared a house with others and lead a semi-normal life but while I was there I could help but think 20 years ago these people would have been sectioned and 'controlled' with drugs:thumbsdown:

Reply to Hellingly mental asylum. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I'm really hoping you all can help as I am at my wits end. We have hired...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Good morning everyone, I'm new here and a DIY'er. I've completed custom shower builds before...
Replies
Views
Hello, First post here on the forum. Thanks for reading! I have an application for 1"...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Hellingly mental asylum.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.