Discuss Hello again in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

TJ Smiler

Morning all, I'm Toby

Yes, Toby-the-Tiler :mad2:

Although i'm not strictly new to this site and some of the older members will remember me i have been away for 5 years so thought i'd better introduce myself as there are probably many more on here that don't know me than there are that do.

I have been doing this for 8 years now and at last after many years of graft i feel like i have now learnt enough about this trade to actually call myself tiler, the first few years i started after a 4 week course were a nightmare. I had learned no-where-near enough to say i was a tiler and i never thought there was as much to this trade as there is!! And only 2 months after i completed the course bloody Northern Rock decided to go bust so i was trying to find work in a trade that i knew very little about during a terrible recession...... People who had been in the game for years and with good reps were not getting any work.... so there was no chance of someone employing a bald headed cockney who was pretending to be a tiler.

Still i persevered, perspired, and then made a load of contacts and am now not only out the other side but am swamped with work and considering taking people on so i thought that maybe some of my experiences might come in very useful or even encouraging for all the newbie tilers who are just starting out in this career and to learn whatever else i can from all the oldie tilers on here.

Well that's me, look forward to getting involved.
Ps...... I always leave long posts so if your not a lover of reading then you'd be better off giving mine a miss haha

T

TJ Smiler

very inspirational mate and what a result for you this is what I 'hope' will happen with me maybe in a little shorter time period but not far off I expect! cheers mate ;)

- - - Updated - - -

also if you have been away, what has been your sour4ce of info to progress mate?

I just got my head down and steamed into it, there was no way i was paying 2 bags of sand for a course and then not using it. I made a ton of calls to other tilers outside of the area where i live (so i wouldn't be stealing any of their work) and eventually hooked up with a tiler called Andrew at Cambridge Tile and Mosiac, he's been doing it pretty much since he left school and is the dogs when it comes to tiling. I done a load of work with him and pestered him all the time on the phone about what i should be doing or not doing and i guess you could say i done a sort of apprentice through him all be it mainly via the blower.

There is so much to learn, not just with tiling but with being self-employed and running a business. I really started to motor when i realised that TJ Tiling was not just me doing some tiling work, it was a business, and i was my business and i did not want to be running a business that was not profitable. So i spent hours upon hours about learning how to time manage, do my accounts, run a diary, win contracts, haggle with suppliers, being cost effective etc.

TJ Tiling is a business now and when i'm quoting customers can feel that. They are reassured that they are getting a very personal service from a small outfit but with all the features and security that a firm can offer.

Learn how to be self-employed mate there are some great books out there and courses to attend, you can practice tiling when your doing a job and listening to the advice from the old sweats on here. But learn how to be a manager, it's your business and your in-charge so give it the best you can. That was what i did anyway mate

Another very long post, sorry everyone.

T

TJ Smiler

Toby you wind-bag! And please note that the forum rules have changed whilst you've been away. No swearing in publically viewable forums such as general chat, tiling forum, adhesive and grout forum, news members forum etc. The Tilers Forums Arms is the place to let off steam :smilewinkgrin:

Wind-bag lol, you got that right today..........Am blowing away like a good'n this morning! Ok no swearing, i suppose i can handle that.
don't worry i'll behave

T

TJ Smiler

Welcome back TJ, I wondered where you'd got to. Still in the caravan? :smilewinkgrin:

Haha no i have moved out mate..... Have upgraded to a large shed, except this time i now have electric without a generator and a heater without a gas bottle, absolute luxury!! hard work has really paid off for me and im Hoping to be in a bedsit by this time next year :whatchutalkingabout

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hello again in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
Tiling my en-suite was part of a larger build project. The builder subcontracted the tiler who...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Grouting my shower walls in a few days. I tried to do everything by the book, which I did. Water...
Replies
Views
I’m halfway through tiling a shower cubicle at home. First time doing any tiling. I’ve used...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB