UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Hello all, need some help with very difficult customer in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Tilestyle

Hello everybody, Unfortunately my first post is a tale of woe and I am hoping for some good advice.

I have been running my own bathroom fitting company for nearly 4 years now without too many problems however I have never been in a situation like this before.

4 weeks ago I started a high end bathroom with wetrrom for a bathroom supply company that I have never worked with before.

For the first 3 weeks everything went very well, I was getting on with the customer and was even pricing for some more work for them. The wall and floor tiles had been down for nearly a week and the customer said they were happy with them even tho I hadnt finished the grouting. Then this week all of a sudden the end customer said she wasnt happy with the tiling and repeatedly changed her mind on different aspects of the tiling for example I had to remove all the tiles from the window reveal and shower alcove and fit ally trim even tho she originally said she didnt want it and also changing her mind on the colour of the floor grout from grey to white after I had laid the floor with grey adhesive.
Now they are saying they are not happy with the walls or floor at all and do not want me to do any more work on site and to collect my tools.

The bathroom supply company are as confused and concerned as I am as obviously there is still a lot of money outstanding.

Now I am not saying that the tiling was originally 100% there were a couple of areas which were pointed out to me that were a little out but i rectified this.

Does anyone else have any experience of this and what was the outcome?

Apologies for the long post

Chris

C

cr0ft

The bathroom installation company would (should) have a detailed contract with the end customer specifying tiling finish amongst other things. Is there a clause in there that states that any amendments to the terms will incur additional cost?

If the customer has been paying by stage payments and has made payments to the BI company then that can be taken as proof that they were happy with the work at that point in time.

As I understand it you are working for the bathroom installation company and if they are happy with your work then it is up to them to pay you, if not then they should allow you the chance to rectify workmanship issues. The customer changing their mind on grout colour is not a workmanship issue :)

If they have no workmanship issues and won't pay you then you need to look at pursuing the matter formally.

Just my opinion.

T

Tilestyle

Thanks for the reply cr0ft, I am not sure if the supply company had a contract with the end customer I think not tho, I dont know of any stage payemnts either.

Sadly as I had not finished then there are areas which needed attention such as the floor grout needed polishing back etc .The end user is using this as an example of poor workmanship but not allowing me back on site to rectify.

I should have mentioned the floor was 7m2 of 10mm2 mosaics as well so there are a couple areas where the adhesive needed raking out as it was showing thru.

Yes small claims is the last resort, I really hope it doesnt get that far.

C

cr0ft

As the BI company are your 'customer' ask them if they are happy with the tiling and what they want rectified to complete the job. Depending on your relationship with said company you may or may not want to use the route below. If I was happy with the work I had done I would..

If you are not allowed access to finish the job write to them. State that X work has been completed and that you are willing to complete Y snags. Give them Z days to reply (14 days is the norm). If (and you have to be confident of this) your work complies with BS 5385 in all respects then state that if this is not resolved then you will pursue X amount for outstanding work completed.

In future, it's well worth getting contracts set up with people you sub-contract from and to. Verbal agreements are great but they are worth nothing if you have a dispute.

Hope this helps.

M

mikethetile

yes i have seen this before from serial non payers

bulk of the work is done, complain about work done and throw contractor off job. pay another tradesman to finish off and thats all the jobs cost them

the law is setup to protect you from this , use it

your contract is with the bathroom company not their client and thats who you need to pursue for payment

time to get legal representation im afraid as nothing short of solicitors will get you payment

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hello all, need some help with very difficult customer in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views
Hello! At the completion of my new kitchen tile installation, the grout I had selected (dark...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am hoping I may be able to get some advice. 2 years ago we had a new kitchen fitted and...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Hello all, need some help with very difficult customer
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.