UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Hello! And a question about terracotta skirting tiles & condensation... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Starling

Hi there!
Here's a question I can't seem to find any answers to on't internet. Hoping some expert, experienced tiling folk may be able to shed some light!
In my 1920s-built, single skin brick, double glazed, semi-detached brick house on a hill, we have some pretty bad condensation in our bathroom, kitchen, downstairs loo and small front bedroom. Previous owner(s?) have a) blocked up all the house's original ventilation bricks and b) and painted over the terracotta skirting tiles in the freezing downstairs loo. So far, it's been quite common for the external wall corner - and the tile skirting - in this room to be wet to the touch, with some lovely black mould growing in the damp. Having bleached the mould off, and knowing that terracotta is porous, and looking briefly into how older houses were built to be breathable, I wondered what would happen if I removed the paint from the tile skirting. I started to do this, then felt the wall a day or so later, and it was dry. Not only that, but on one tile which was half still painted and half stripped, THE HALF THAT WAS PAINTED WAS WET AND THE STRIPPED HALF WAS DRY!! So: is it possible that these tiles were installed precisely for their porousness (since this tiny downstairs loo was once the house's bathroom), as part of the 'lung system' of the house, and is stripping them the right move?
Any feedback appreciated! THANKS!

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
not sure if the tiling paint removal will solve your issue however....

i had a simliar issue a few years back in my house...external walled side of the house was shocking with black damp spores all over,also bathroom and kitchen suffered as well

it turned out an accumulation of factors caused this one was the vents were not the correct height above the ground,we solved it by installing something called envirovent system

google envirovent its like a large dehumidifier system that is loft or cupboard mounted with one controlling vent in the main hall to control all offset rooms

cured it within a week.

P

Perry

thanks PJC - yes actually I think you're right. looking at this pic: http://www.salvo.co.uk/images/userimgs/22886/25172_1.jpg they look a lot like that, only they're smaller obviously - about 15cm square. they're fairly thick - 1.5 - 2cm. i'll try for a pic tonight! is my absorption theory scuppered if they're quarry then?
yes more than likely someone's been working in the room striping paint and created an air flow

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hello! And a question about terracotta skirting tiles & condensation... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Merry Chrimbo Tilers! We just bought an arts and craft house built in 1922 and the house has...
Replies
Views
Thanks for taking your time to read through this and really appreciate the support! So me and...
Replies
Views
Hello! I’m hoping I can get some advice on what to do in my kitchen RE wanting to replace the...
Replies
Views
Hi Tilers, this is my first question on this forum and I've got a few different areas to cover...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.