UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Hello and help!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

KC72

Hello TF!

I am a newbie here, but am hoping that with all the expertise on here, someone may be able to help me out/advise me of the best course of action.
Basically, we have had a total disaster of an UFH installation!
We eventually got round to getting our newly formed kitchen/dining area tiled and UFH installed, and after waiting the appropriate length of time before switching it on, we were disappointed to find that it didn't work. Didn't panic though.....had a look through the various posts on TF and thought it must be a simple electrical problem. Got the electrician back but he was confident that his bit was ok and concluded that there must be a break somewhere under the tiles. Got in contact with the tiler who gave us the number of the Warmup tech guys who operate in our area so they could come out and identify the fault and fix it. At this stage the tiler indicated that he would be responsible for the cost of this, so all good so far.

However.....had the warmup engineers out at the end of the week, and the UFH is unrepairable due to the number of breaks in the cabling! They had to stop after finding at least 8 breaks and lifting 8 60x30 tiles....which isn't a great look on our kitchen floor! All the breaks are in the grout lines, and the engineers reckon this can only have happened when the tiler has been clearing out the joint lines prior to grouting.

The only solution is to rip it up and start again, but the tiler doesn't want to know anything about it, and is avoiding all communication. We want to try to keep things as amicable as possible and would prefer not to go down the legal route, but this may be the only we to recoup some of the cash we have paid out and will have to pay out again to get the job done properly.

The tiler was recommended to us by another tradesman friend so it is all a bit awkward.

Has anyone got any advice as to what we might be able to do as we are totally frustrated by the whole thing and now have a mess of a floor.

D

Drastik Lee

Hi & welcome to TF ......... Awkward one this first thing i would recommend and your not gunna like it would bit to have the whole lot up to find the full extent of the problem...that way you would be able to tell if it was the tilers fault for sure or whether its a fault with the UFH or installation of the UFH next thing would be to try contact both friend and tiler again in writing to confirm said findings any reputable tiler will have details you could find online and PLI to sort things like this ...also it does seem slightly strange that just cleaning out the grout joints would damage the UFH to such a bad extent be sure that its not just a faulty system and that the warm up tech guys aint palming you off aswell :mad2:

K

KC72

Hi & welcome to TF ......... Awkward one this first thing i would recommend and your not gunna like it would bit to have the whole lot up to find the full extent of the problem...that way you would be able to tell if it was the tilers fault for sure or whether its a fault with the UFH or installation of the UFH next thing would be to try contact both friend and tiler again in writing to confirm said findings any reputable tiler will have details you could find online and PLI to sort things like this ...also it does seem slightly strange that just cleaning out the grout joints would damage the UFH to such a bad extent be sure that its not just a faulty system and that the warm up tech guys aint palming you off aswell :mad2:

Have seen the evidence I'm afraid and the outer sheaf has been well and truly hacked :( Going to contact the tiler in writing. Am hoping that he has perhaps had time to think about things and will see sense.....her's hoping!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hello and help!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I'm really hoping you all can help as I am at my wits end. We have hired...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.