UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Hello everyone in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

RayJay

Hello my name is Ray
I am a Building Surveyor by profession and also a keen DIY er.
I have recently completed an extension on my house an I am at the floor tiling stage. I have tiled floors previously but not of this size and not with wet underfloor heating.
I have been doing some research on the web including this brillant forum but I am still unclear on some issues and would like some advice.
The floor is concrete screed laid May 2011 by a floorscreed firm including reinforcing fibres ,D49 mesh at stress points (corners etc) .The UFH has been in use since November.
The screed does have a couple of hairline cracks. Part of the floor will exposed to sunshine due to 3 velux windows.
The tiles are 600mm x600mm rectified porcilean.
The floor is L shape, 42m2 with a maximum length of 7.4m.
I intend to leave a 10mm gap around the entire perimmeter.

My questions are:
1.Should I use an isolating membrane over the whole floor or just over the cracked areas ?
2.Should I use 2mm or 3mm spacers?
3.If I need an isolating membrane, I will need a thin one such as PCI pecilastic. I can only find 1 online stockist. None of the local merchants seem to stock it.
Does anyone know of any stockist near Croydon?

I would be grateful for any advice. Thanks.

Attachments

• P1000186.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 43
R

RayJay

Thanks for the reply. It looks like a membrane and 3mm joints is the answer.

I do have another question though. I have checked the screed with a rotating laser level and it appears to be pretty level (within 3mm), will a 10mm bed be sufficent for the tiles? Also what is the differerence uses/ preferences betweem square notched and U notched trowels?
Sorry thats 2 questions :smilewinkgrin:.
Thanks again.

R

Rich

Good advice above regarding membrane and 3mm spacers (min). You need to get your self a U-notched trowel (or half moon trowel), the square notched trowels are not as good at getting 100% coverage of adhesive under the tile. Spread a good bed of adhesive onto the floor using the half moon trowel (leaving no gaps and try to keep all the notches going in the same direction) and then you will want to back butter the underside of the tile with adhesive as well. Then when you press/twist the back buttered tile into the adhesive bed, this should give you 100% coverage.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hello everyone in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to achieve a low floor build up including wet UFH over a new suspended timber...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.