UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Hello from a non tiler in need of help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

minimax

Hi,
I'm Minimax from Devon, female, and as the header said, NOT a tiler. I have stumbled
across this forum on my search for sealing products.
I have spend lots of time on google, and phoning many companies, but I am stuck at the moment.

I am engraving slate tiles of various colours and sizes, but I'm using a hand engraver with diamond burr, so
the lines are not very deep.

I am looking for sealers for different purposes.
Indoors, just to protect the work a bit ( had a sample from LTP Ironwax Satin, works well over the engraved lines without changing any colour)

Now I am looking for a similar product which is suitable for outdoos. I have tried LTP Colour Intensifier & Stainblock, it brings out the slate colour nicely, but my engraved lines disappear.

The lines also disappear in the rain, and when the slate dries, they reappear. So I am looking for something to stop
that from happening.
Lithofin was very helpful in a way, but haven't got any samples at all. They advised Stainstop Eco or Stainstop W.
Then I stumbled across Lithofin Splashstop, but I am not sure if I can use it on slate.

I am mainly looking for a product, that stops my line from disappearing in the rain so mainly something that stops/blocks water.
If I try all the products that I have been advised by now, I'll be broke :smilewinkgrin:

Sorry to make this sooo long, but maybe there are some tilers with extensive "slate experience" that can help?

Have read a few other helpful threads here already, Thank You !!!
Minimax

M

minimax

CIMG2932.jpg

Not sure if this is working, haven't uploaded a photo into a forum before, this is not finished and it doesn't show well, art deco picture.

M

minimax

Ha, been googleing for tropical :lol:
Just read up about Hagesan, sounds good. Still not sure if it affects the lines.
LTP are sending me a sample of Matt, only company that seem to have samples.
My theory was to use the colour Intensifier thinly, the to engrave, and the to use the Matt over it.
I've tried several combinations, but nothing good yet.
I am waiting to do 7 signs of Dartmoor Tors and names for a Campsite, but then with all the rain here,
the pictures will only be visible in good weather, i.e. seldom :thumbsdown:

M

minimax

Thanks, Mattstone is the sample that should arrive soon. Do you think it will react with the LTP Intensifier if I use that prior to the engraving? The darker the slade, the better the lines.
Has anyone got any experience with Lithofin splashstop? I am still wondering if it might keep the water off better?

And thank you everyone for such a nice welcome and the help. I've been ringing so many companies, but who better to ask than the people who actually use their products !!!:iagree:

U

user123

Hi Minimax, :welcome:

I have dabbled with slate art before, but years and years ago when there were probably less sealer products about. The lines do disappear outside, I really don't think any sealer will stop that, as any that last ouside will have an oil or resin action of sorts.

What you do is beautiful there, I can see the potential and am wondering if you are not making life needlessly difficult by not looking at colouring. Some of the guys here are experienced with grout pens, may that would work? just a thought, a felt tip point kind of action is really what you need, isn't it..

Reply to Hello from a non tiler in need of help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello all. We have employed a tiler to do our bathroom and floor tiles. We bought the tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi, We're having some work done on the home and having some natural stone tiles fitted into our...
Replies
Views
Niunia
N
Hi everyone, I really need some pro advice as I have just had a bathroom fitted and the tiling...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 53945
D
To tiling contractors that hire tilers, where do you advertise to find tilers to fill the rolls...
Replies
Views
A
Hello all I’m looking for any help I can get I really want to start a new career in tiling I...
Replies
Views
A

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Hello from a non tiler in need of help
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.