UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Hello, need help with making tiles less slippy.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Lithothin do an anti-slip fluid suitable for making slippery ceramics, enamel
and natural stone surfaces slip resistant. Apparently works by etching the surface slightly - never used it myself
but saw it in my local Tile Giant the other day and had a quick read. Can't comment on its efficacy but maybe worth a go.

M

Mazbert

Hello all, thanks for your replies, I was thinking a re tile job. I am going to hunt down the fluid and give that a go first as it may well be a better option......I thought of converse! Ha ha I did try socks briefly, you know they walked about like they were on a moon landing! I will post on here and let you know, so clients with slippy pawed dogs can save themselves from this! Thanks again people!

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Surprised Tile Giant can't help you - all 3 stores nearest me stock it. Anyway just google it and plenty of online stores come up - i won't put a link up as It may be against forum rules.
Looks like you're looking at about £30 for 6m2 worth.

Here's some cut and paste info for you:

Anti-slip treatment for natural stone and ceramic tiles. For use on balconies, terraces, stairs and bathrooms. Full set contains basic cleaner, anti slip fluid, gloves and sponges. The kit should be sufficient to treat approximately 6 square metres. Permanent safe & easy to use.

The Lithofin Anti Slip Set consists of a Basic Cleaner and the Anti-Slip Fluid. This set is suitable for making slippery ceramics, enamel and natural stone surfaces slip resistant.
Contents:

• 250ml Lithofin Basic Cleaner
  • 250ml Lithofin Anti-Slip
  • 2 Sponges
  • Plastic Gloves
Coverage for up to 6sq / m safety
Basic Cleaner: mildly alkaline for removing oily and greasy dirt from ceramics and natural stone.
Technical Data:
Density:
ca. 1,0 g/cm³ pH-Value: ca. 10
Appearance: liquid, yellowish Odour: non-specific
Solubility in Water: complete
Anti-Slip: fluorid containing product for roughing ceramic and natural stone surfaces.
Technical Data:
Density:
ca. 1,0 g/cm³ pH-Value: ca. 3
Appearance: liquid, red Odour: non-specific Solubility in Water: complete Properties
The Lithofin Anti-Slip Fluid chemically reacts with the surface of ceramics, enamel and silicate containing natural stones. The product etches small cavities into the surface, therby increasing the slip resistance.
Field of Use:
For rendering surfaces slip resistant. Especially suitable for porcelain, glazed ceramics, enamel and natural stone such as granite, gneiss, etc. This treatment also works on wet surfaces.
Directions for Use:

• Preparation: the surface must be thoroughly cleaned. Dilute Lithofin Basic Cleaner up to 1:5 with water and apply with a sponge. Vigorously scrub the surface with the rough
    pad on the sponge. Carefully rinse the clean surface with plenty of water to remove all product residues.
  • Treatment: first try the product in an inconspicuous area in order to evaluate the effect and determine the working time. Apply Lithofin Anti-Slip to the clean and dry surface
    and immediately distribute the product evenly with the second sponge (wear the enclosed protective gloves). There should be a visible liquid film on the surface. During working time, repeatedly wipe and redistribute the product with the sponge, add more product if necessary.
  • Do not allow the product to dry (Lithofin Anti-Slip only works as a liquid). Avoid foam. Continuously check the slip resistance by moving the sponge across the surface. Stop treatment when the desired effect is reached.
  • End Treatment: add water and a few drops of Lithofin Basic Cleaner to the solution on the surface, distribute immediately and wipe off the surface. Rinse well with clean
    water.
  • Please Note: especially the undiluted product must not come in contact with sensitive surfaces (polished limestone, marble, lacquer, wood, carpets, etc.). Immediately wash off any splashes. Protect metals and other adjoining areas. The surface to be treated must be completely clean and free of grease and care product residues. The surface temperature should be between 10°C and 25°C during application. Switch off under floor heating.

The surface is permanently altered on a microscopically small scale. Not suitable for acrylates and other plastics. High gloss and polished surfaces will become slightly less shiny. Natural stone may become lighter in colour.
Always try the product prior to use.
Storage:
Closed and cool in wee ventilated area. Up to 3 years. Further Treatment Granite and other natural stones should be impregnated with Lithofin MN Stainstop and maintained with Lithofin MN Wash & Clean.
Environmental Protection:
The contained surfactants are biologically degradable according to EU-regulations. Does not contain any phosphates.
Disposal:
Diluted product may be added to waste water. Containers are made of environmentally friendly polyetylene (PE). Clean containers can be recycled through collection system.
Basic Cleaner:
Xi, irritant. Irritating to eyes. Keep out of the reach of children. In case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of water and seek medical advice. If swallowed, seek medical advice immediately and show this container or label. Contents according to EU-recommendations: < 5% anionic wetting agents, < 5% non-ionic wetting agents, 5 - 10% Butylglycol.
Anti-Slip Fluid:
C, corrosive. Harmful if swallowed. Causes burns. Keep locked up and out of the reach of children. In case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of water and seek medical advice. Wear suitable protective clothing, gloves and eye/face protection. In case of accident or if you feel unwell, seek medical advice immediately (show the label where possible). Contents according to EU-recommendations: <5% non-ionic surfactants, ammonium-hydrogendifluorid. ADR2003/GGVSE: UN2817.
Note on shipping papers:
none, due to limited quantities.
Delivery Packaging:
Set with 250ml Basic Cleaner, 250ml Anti-Slip Fluid, 2 sponges, protective gloves, detailed directions for use.

Please Note:
Statements concerning environmental and safety issues refer to the product as delivered (concentrated). This information should be considered to be informal and non-binding. The products must be used according to local conditions and materials. Where no previous experience is available, or in cases of doubt, test the product in an inconspicuous area. (GB4.04gps)

Please let us know how you get on.

M

Mazbert

I spoke to tiles giant, they said they have recently changed supplier, they may have some stock in stores but not any in my area! Another question is, old vinyl tiles in a kitchen, glue fixed they have been there years. Client wants to avoid pulling them up, or paying me to. Never tiled on these before, I am right in assuming that they along with the hideous glue needs removing? The substrate underneath is concrete. Thanks!

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
If the vinyl tiles are WELL stuck down then clean thoroughly, degrease with sugar soap solution and clean again.
Once dry put a 50/50 mix of acrylate primer/water (known as a slurry coat) and allow to dry.
You then need a good bagged SPF adhesive - check it is suitable for going over vinyl as some SPFs are not polymer modified enough.
If going with a Mapei brand then keraquick is suitable. I also like Weber's rapid SPF as it is cheaper and up to the job.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hello, need help with making tiles less slippy.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

L
Hi Guys I'm new to this forum so hope someone here has the knowledge to tell me what I'm doing...
2 3 4
Replies
Views
Lily Swizzle
L
F
Hello everyone. I am over here in the USA, but noticed, when googling for info on Mapei grouts...
Replies
Views
Mr Tiler
M
T
Hello everybody, Unfortunately my first post is a tale of woe and I am hoping for some good...
Replies
Views
mikethetile
M
R
Wanted to put up a post about tiling with natural stone, most of us on here use a lot of it and...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 54066
D
R
Hello all, it seems a few more people are starting to ask about Larsens range on here, thought...
Replies
Views
stevee
S

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Hello, need help with making tiles less slippy....
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.