UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Hello in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mad Hatter

After two months of being glued to this forum I've finally registered, Christ it's addictive!

Here's my background, it's a bit mad how it's turned out:

After leaving school despite always wanting to get a trade behind me, I took the first job that came up as you do wanting to get a few beer tokens in your pocket for the weekend. I ended up working for a sister company of Homelux designing the colours and extruding tiletrim for them in a Lab based job. I then moved onto a big FTSE 100 listed company and and after years of living the easy life(my mates call it Butlins) the chance of voluntary redundancy has come up and I considered taking it and giving myself a new challenge as I felt that I've gone as far as I can in that role, feeling stale and ready for a change. I enrolled on a tiling course before committing myself at work, I attended the course and really enjoyed it and saw tiling as something that I would enjoy doing as a job and I fancied the challenges that it would bring, I went back and asked for redundancy as if I don't make the change now I never will and this opportunity might never come up again.

The weeks have moved on and as of July 1st I'm on my own looking for work, I've got my business cards on order, compiled my list of tools I need and there is a good chance that I've got some sub-contracting work in the pipeline plus a family member who works in the building trade might have some work for me. It's time to start advertising to try and get some work off my own back! It's daunting thinking about going it alone and I'm going to get on a plastering course to try and fill the gaps during the quiet times when work is slow. I've got a mate who's an accountant so I need to sit down with him and discuss the accounts/tax side of things plus I need to contact lads I know who are self-employed to see how things should be done.

Despite attending my course I think I've learnt just as much from reading this forum and I think it's a valuable tool for anybody in the trade and it's certainly swayed my decision to have a complete career change knowing that experienced tradesmen are willing to offer advice with any problems you have. The flooring section of my course didn't get as much coverage as it deserved on my course and this forum has been a massive help to broadening my knowledge of that...thanks!

Lastly, if there are any experienced tilers in the Stockport area that need some help and could pass some useful experience onto me I'd be grateful to hear from you.

W

wetdec

Hi how you doing
thumbsup.gif

tiler

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hello in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.