UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Hello! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

Infantiler

I've been browsing for a while and thought I should say hi!

Just started my first bathroom/tiling job in the en-suite - is it even possible to remove tiles from plaster board without damaging the board?! Decided quite early on that even being extra careful didn't guarantee keeping the board in tact, so new boards going up. Didn't help matters that the previous fitter didn't seal the mixer for the shower and the board was water damaged. Fell apart!!! Doh!

First question is with regard to plasterboard - I've removed one sheet which formed one side of the shower cubicle and came out to an external corner. There appears to be a metal corner joint on the external corner, my question is am I ok to reuse this? or is it best to pull it off and start afresh?

Great forum btw, some of the work you guys do is fantastic. Not sure if it's inspiring or demoralising, though! Haha!

Cheers.

gamma38

TF
Bedford
Hi, the best thing to do is try using a job specific tile removing tool, manual or electric. If this doesn't work IE the plasterboard starts to break down or just comes away from the wall, then stop messing around trying to remove the tiles and just remove the lot, a new sheet of plasterboard is cheap. To be fair I don't even try to remove tiles anymore I always remove the substrate, then you know what your dealing with when you fit the new boards on the wall. It is usually quicker and cheaper to do it this way as well.

B

bugs183

If you're going to do a pukka job, remove all the plasterboard, hacking off tiles is a vile dusty and bloomin nasty job (lots of cuts and tile splinters, chances are you'll bust the boards up anyway). Replace with Marmox boarding, go on 'insulation express' its the cheapest i've found for Marmox. Totally waterproof (tape the joints in the shower with waterproof tape), easy to cut and doesn't cost much more than plasterboard.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hello! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

C
Hello everyone ,this is my first post ,just started tiling for myself a couple weeks back after...
Replies
Views
cdstiling
C
O
Hi All, Newbie to the site and like to do things properly, I haveread a lot of valuable posts on...
Replies
Views
Perry
P
B
hello - ive put up 38mm battons up agaist the two walls, screwed in aquapael boards, sealled the...
Replies
Views
Dougs Third Go
D
K
Hello I thought i would stop by and introduce my self as I have a feeling im going to be...
Replies
Views
D
Evening all, i'm about to start my first tiling project and thought i'd share it on here an see...
Replies
Views
dantheram
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.