UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Hello in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

paulsurrey

Hi All

I'm a keen DIYer and I am a Mechanical Engineer by trade so I hopefully won't ask too many dumb questions. I am joining the forum because I am either going to finish the rest of my bathroom myself or maybe find someone on this site who could do the work for me.

The main reason for joining is because I have just had a bad experience with a bathroom fitter who has walked out on the job and left me with a mess and a massive dent in my bank balance. I am going to be looking for advice so I can work out what work needs doing again and so that the job can get finished off properly. I have to do this all very quickly because my family are currently living in temporary accommodation and my wife is most insistent on having a flushing toilet before we move in, can't think why :)

Paul

P

paulsurrey

Thanks all for the warm welcome. I will try and put some pictures up soon and then ask some questions about what needs to be done.

I don't want to get into too much detail about why my old bathroom fitter walked off the job, partly because I don't want to put a lot of negative stuff online. Suffice to say that I am now left with:

two thirds of a tiled floor (approx 5m2 not yet grouted) installed on top of WBP ply;
some of the first fix plumbing (for bath, w.c., towel rail and shower tray) but not yet the plumbing for the shower pump, mixer valve or shower head;
a marmox showerlay board that has been cut down by 30cm, is covered in tile adhesive from an abortive attempt to fit tiles and has tanking applied over the top of the adhesive
a 300x300 hole in the interior skin of an exterior wall (partially below the floor making it awkward to fill) that has been packed with insulation but needs filling with masonry in my opinion
a pump (not yet fitted)
most of the grout/adhesive needed to finish the job

I don't want to say how much I have paid for this because it is embarrassingly high.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Hello in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.