UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Help a poor henpecked retired diyer, have pitty on an oldie in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bloodknock

I'm just a enthusiastic DIYer, enthusiastic but exceeding slow. I like things done right, (if you cant do it right, dont do it). Tend to be over precise in my DIY because of my engineering traning It takes me ages to research and plan jobs, this forum is for my research.
I just need to know what is the correct method of fixing ceramic 300cmx600cmx8mm tiles in a bathroom. The walls are a combination of plastered brick (outside wall) and partition wall plasterboard, the majority of which is skimmed. The walls are pretty even and flat. The wall area where the shower is going has been tanked with BAL tanking kit. The shower tray is a low profile extended quadrant base with plumbing inset into the floorboard / ceiling space of the ground floor. The base is set on a 12mm ply base and into cement. I have used "Classi seal" on the wall faces of the shower tray.

I need to know:
(1) Best tile adhesive to use, particularly in the tanked area.
(2) Whether or not to apply adhesive to the tiles as well as the walls.
(3) What size of notch in the adhesive trowel to use.
(4) Any special advice on fitting methods - Pressure to be applied, tile wiggle.
(5) What grout gap to use.
(6) Which is the best grout to use.
(7) How long to wait before grouting.

Is there a samaritan out there?
Thanks very much.

G

Gazzer

(1) Best tile adhesive to use, particularly in the tanked area.
A cement based addhesive would be best, depends whether you want fast set or standard.

(2) Whether or not to apply adhesive to the tiles as well as the walls.
Spread wall and skim the backs of the tile with flat side of trowel.

(3) What size of notch in the adhesive trowel to use.
8mm - 10mm depending on walls.

(4) Any special advice on fitting methods - Pressure to be applied, tile wiggle.
Press onto wall and give a push and slight twist or sliding action.

(5) What grout gap to use.
2mm min.

(6) Which is the best grout to use.
Are you wanting coloured ? or white but personal choice.

(7) How long to wait before grouting.
24 hours usually

B

bloodknock

Thankyou.
I've ensured that the walls are good and flat. Its about 50/50 rendered (plastered) brick and plasterboard (partition wall). I'm concerned about the water resistance in the shower area and wondered which was the most resistant grout. What thickness adhesive should I apply to the tile? I thought maybe an ivory colour... the tiles are beige(y) stone, with two panels of mink(y) brown, to be enhanced with a multi tone brown mosaic. (The gruppenfeurer commanded).
What would be the advantage of a fast set adhesive? I intend to use a batten at about two thirds first tile height and mount the tiles pyramid style, what is your view?
Thanks again

B

bloodknock

I am not sure how to judge that the wall will be able to carry the weight. The partition wall is 12mm platerboard approx 10 cm thickness, internally supported by gyproc metal framing and timber. The surface is plastered and sized. I have carefully checked the integrity of the plaster / plasterboard interface and it appears good and solid. The walls were previously tiled with significantly smaller tiles which virtually fell off on removal. All wall surfaces are now clean, free of old adhesive and sized with PVA. I can post pictures if you wish.
Thankyou

G

Gazzer

Also Substrate weight ratings

A common question, how much weight can my wall support, here are the reccommended max weight ratings in KG / m2

Plaster Skim on Plaster Board........20KG
Skim and Set Plaster...................28KG
Plaster Board.............................32KG
Sand and Cement.......................40KG
Cement Backer Board..................55KG
Hardibacker Board.......................45KG
Lightweight Tile Backer Board........40KG
Glass Reinforced Cement Sheet.....50KG
Gypsum Fibre Board.....................40KG

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Help a poor henpecked retired diyer, have pitty on an oldie in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi All, First time poster and tiler here. Hoping to get a bit of advice on tiling a wet room...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon all. I am a keen DIYer (at home) but have never tiled! I want to tile our small...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I'm new to tiling and looking for some advice. I'm practical and usually pretty good...
Replies
Views
Hi Tilers, this is my first question on this forum and I've got a few different areas to cover...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.