Discuss help/advice in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

paul curtis

hi all, ive been tiling for 2 years now, did have 5 months off from injury last year, im 28 years old and live in dartford kent. since i started tiling ive been with the same employer, but im struggling with both working on site with a bad building contractor and bad employer, are there good sites out there? and employers? i would prefer to get into non site work or small refurbs, small building company to work for, is it possible? any advice would be great. cheers paul

T

Time's Ran Out

Welcome Paul - sounds as though your not enjoying your tiling! When I first started with Noah on his boat, the sites were a great learning ground, not just for tiling but for all aspect of the building industry. After 18 months of working I was pleased to be just starting to tile and to create something that was going to give a customer a lot of pleasure in the future. I realised that I had a lot to learn, and when I went self employed in 1975,after 5 years, I knew I was ready. I was earning double my wage for the company I was on for and as they couldn't/wouldn't pay my earning potential I left! IMHO it's all down to your attitude - be polite, work hard, keep everyone happy, and show you enjoy your trade! Learn all the time and respect the people you are working for. John.

P

paul curtis

thanks guys, i already am self employed and get all my work through this one employer, but hes more interested in retiring, so not getting fulll weeks work and he doesnt do site visits which the agent dont like then makes things worse for me on site such as dont take doors off when tiling floors, dont tidy plots and just makes things harder, maybe getting some flyers printed and seeing how that plans out might give me kick up the bum, i want to enjoy my tiling, but find i wont if i carry on with this employer and building contractor

T

Time's Ran Out

Paul - understand how you feel, but the 2 points you've mentioned are not unusual! If a door is on I tend to mark the bottom ready for a tile+bed then whip it off for the joiner (with a battery screwdriver it's only minutes) and even in small domestic kitchens/bathrooms you can guarantee to have to clear worktops and baths before you start - it gives you a chance to check for damage, and a customer/builder will always remember a tidy tradesman.
If you only work for 1 customer you shouldn't be self employed as the Government will perceive that you should be on the books! Use your spare days to look for other work and check out some of the threads in the Forum history on how to look for work.
Remember variety is the spice of life!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to help/advice in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hello all. We have employed a tiler to do our bathroom and floor tiles. We bought the tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi Ive been browsing your forums over the years looking for guidance for odd tiling DIY tasks...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, new to the forum and after some advice if possible. Without boring you with my life...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I would just like to start off by saying that I've been in the construction industry...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB