Discuss Help and Advice Needed - Shower tiles in the Best Bathroom Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

P

ponderosa

Good MorningAt home, my bathroom is directly above my kitchen. In the bathroom, I have a shower in one corner which is inside a shower cubicle. The problem I have is that when anyone uses the shower, water drips through a crack in the kitchen ceiling. The plaster on the kitchen ceiling has bowed and looks ready to fall off imminently. Inside the shower unit, on the second course of tiles from the bottom, the grouting is black/mouldy and one or two of the tiles appear to be loose. I think whoever installed the shower didn't do a very good job and I'm resigned to ripping the whole thing out and starting again. Would anyone be able to suggest a way I can prevent the water dripping if I do the whole job again?

M

MICK the Tiler

G'Day and welcome to the forums :thumbsup:

You have indeed got a serious problem. You need to stop using the shower to prevent any more water damage. then go downstairs and drill several holes into the ceiling to let out any excess water that may still be in the ceiling cavity. To prevent it falling down.

Next you will have to establish where the water is leaking from. Remove the taps in the shower, if the holes cut in the tiles have not been sealed with silicone this could be a cause of water penetration, also the waste grate may be leaking as well, also the way the shower tray is fitted to the walls could be another pont of water entry.

The easiest method will be the tapware if you remove the taps and the stems are not covered in silicone then water will be running down behind the taps and entering the wall cavity, use some clear silicone to plug the holes around the taps and spout allow to dry and run the shower again and check for leaks, if it continues to leak you need to eliminate another source of water entry. It could even be the plumbing itself which may need to be pressure tested by a plumber.

Upvote 0
R

robbo

Hi ponderosa, if you are going to sort the shower out properly you will need to check everything out first(inc plumbing) before laying new tiles making sure the substrate you are tiling to isn't water damaged in anyway and totally sound. Providing this is ok you will need to use a tanking system to waterproof the shower before retiling something like this CS-Cart. Powerful PHP shopping cart software - Waterproofing :: Tanking wet room shower walls

PM wetdecs, he will help you further with the right system to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Help and Advice Needed - Shower tiles in the Best Bathroom Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
I'm Looking For This Tile Help!!!! Only 5 needed!
Hi… I’m desperately looking for a few of these (I believe discontinued B&Q) tiles. I only need...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB