Discuss Help - bathroom leaking, grouting cracked, PHOTOS in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

martsharm

Hi,

I hope some of you kind people would be able to help me judge the seriousness of the problem I have.

There's always been a mark on the ceiling in the kitchen since the house was bought a few months ago, but recently there have been proper drips coming through.

bathroom006.jpg

Underneath the bath isn't wet, but it's clear a few tiles have cracked grout, and they move a bit when pushed. So, armed with a bit of advice from here, I pulled a few off (they hinge because of the silicone sealant in the corner).

bathroom002.jpg

bathroom001.jpg

bathroom003.jpg

bathroom004.jpg

The layers appear to be adhesive, plaster, then fibreboard underneath, which is soft but not sodden. Then there's all that horrible black stuff which I'm very wary of.

What needs to be done with this? I can't get any more tiles off without the risk of damaging them (these ones came off quite easily). Does the whole wall need to be retiled?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

D

Deleted member 9966

Hi

I had a similar problem in my lounge where my en-suite shower room sits over the top. From your pictures, water is getting through the tiles/grout into the wall and finding it's fastest route of least resistance, in this case, through your kitchen ceiling.

The best course of action you can take is to rip it all out and have the whole area re-tiled. You'll need to replace the plasterboard that is soaked through before tiling as you won't be able to dry that out and retile on to it.

The black stuff is mould and damp, and that is there because there's no way for the areas behind the tiles from drying out after they get wet.

You should also consider a tanking system when you retile. This is a waterproofing system that should prevent water ingressing into the plasterboard walls and stop leaks into other areas of your property, provided it's installed properly.

Hope this helps
GRR

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Help - bathroom leaking, grouting cracked, PHOTOS in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

My newly tiled bathroom wall has presented a few issues in the last few days. Some of the tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi had bathroom refurbished 4/5 years ago. A few years ago I noticed a vertical crack on tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Dear TilersForum Thank you so much for the outstanding advice and expert information over time...
Replies
Views
Hiya, Just looking for a bit of advice. We had the area around our bath retiled 6 months ago...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB