Discuss Help! Need to prep walls prior to tiling. Complete newbie. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

H

helpinmancheste

Hi, okay, so in order to keep costs down I agreed to prep the walls of my bathroom prior to a proffessional coming in to tile them. However when I was taking off the original tiles it's removed patches of the skim coat underneath. (This has mainly happened on the brick walls, the plasterboard ones seem fine.) Now I'm not sure what to do in order to get the walls ready to tile onto? I've heard varying advice about using PVA or primer or tanking walls of the bath/shower, but I'd really appreciate some step-by-step instructions as to what to do.
Should I remove all of the skim coat and try to re-skim it? Or can I just patch the areas that have come off? Once the skim coat is sorted out do I now need to prime the walls?
I'm so confused, any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Help! Need to prep walls prior to tiling. Complete newbie. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’ve just crossed over from the plumbers forum for some tiling advice as I’m in the process...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB