Discuss Help needed with laying quartz floor tiles in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

M

Macnore

Getting ready to lay about 3m of floor quartz sparkle tiles.
Done a bit of tiling in the past but these look a different kettle of fish.
Any advice much appreciated.
Intending to lay over my original 300 x 300 ceramic floor tiles, which are nice and level and well stuck down.
Under them are floorboards with thin ply sheet, but well stuck down for the last x 15 years.
Would make a mess if dig them up.

Would this be possible or do I have to dig them up and put new ply down ?

Also any advice on adhesive and trouts, forum mention latex adhesive s2 type.
Would this be bought from a tile outlet.
I assume you can tubs of this ready mixed.
Also any advice on best grout to use in a bathroom.

No under floor heating just a towel rail radiator.

Any replies much appreciated

Thanks

Cammie, eastkilbride

I

Ian

I really can't advise anything other than a rip out I'm afraid, the existing ply is way too thin (BS minimum recommendation is 15mm) and putting tiles of that weight over the top is going to run the risk of overloading the floor weight wise. If it were my job I would remove the old tiles and ply, ensure the floorboards are screwed down and deflection free, overboard with 6mm cement board (glued with flexible tile adhesive and screwed also) then tile using flexible adhesive (same used to stick cement boards down with) and grout.

M

Macnore

Looks like I'll be lifting the existing ones then, never heard of cement boards before.
I take it they would be available from tile supplier, going out tomorrow to get my wall tiles.
What kind of cost should I be paying for these ?

Thanks for all responses, for keeping me right.
Hopefully can get all I need tomorrow to get started during the week.
What a way to use up the last of your annual leave.

Thanks again

Cammie

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Help needed with laying quartz floor tiles in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Some helpful advice/opinion would be appreciated... Existing tiles on walls, some of the walls...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB