UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Help needed with limestone floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tilemark

hello folks,
im hoping for a bit of sound advice here cos i'm a little in the soup!

ok i have a floor of 40m2 where i have laid a honed limestone light beige (quite shiny too) floor tile.
this is my problem:

the houseowner has been a nightmare and on my back since day one even though he booked me for tuesday and the tiles didnt arive till thursday!

anyway onto my problem!:
i left the job on monday with a view to coming back on thursday to clean and seal..
impatient guy decides to clean tiles himslef with a grout/ cement remover of which he spent all day doing, then at the end of the day he goes and applies a coat of lithofin stain stop!.

so to cut story short he sealed it without cleaning it properley and sealed it whilst it must have still had some moisture content.

now he has what looks like smear marks all over every tile and blames it on the fact that i got adhesive over the tiles!!.

obviously the relationship is a little sour between us now and this has reulted in him bringing in another tiler to quote to put the job right.

the tiler has quoted to apply WEXA to the floor with some type of machine and then re-seal the floor.

here is my problem /s

lithofin says that wexa doesnt remove sealer??? shouldnt a sealer remover be used? and then the adhesive be scrubbed off??
what is the machine he would be using,
does the sealer even need stripping??

what insults me even more is that the other guy's price is twice what i charged to lay them in the 1st place! (( thats if im getting the true picture!! ))

in the interest of ggod will - and to get paid - i want to sort the job out and have a happy customer so all advice is gratefully received!!
help!!!!!!!!!!!!
ps - sorry about the long post!

C

Concept PHT

Sometimes it makes good sense to use your camera - before, during and after shots. As if you are taking them for your NVQ portfolio.

That way, when people like this come the funny one, you have them bang to rights when they start mouthing off about that its all your fault.

Another good one is to have a continuity tester for your UFH. Obviously test the system before and after the tile fixing, but more importantly, show the customer before you leave site that there is a circuit in the UFH.

So when the cowboy electrician comes in, blows the circuit then tries to blame the tiler for the **** up, you also have him by the balls too.

Been there, seen it and done exactly that. Works a treat. :)

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
North East
Sounds to me like the guy has used the wrong cleaner, All limestone, travertines, marbles etc are PH neutral tiles, therefore any type of acid cement cleaner will chemicaly react and stain the tile. All products with these type of tiles have to be acid free.
If this is the case I cannot see how you can clean them back up. You can get sealer removers, that would be a the start of a repair attempt.
From Darren NE tiling training Gaffa.

L

L & R CERAMICS

just a suggestion but when you seal light limestone tiles this brings the colour out more so get a tile that you havent laid and rub grout over it then let it stand until you want to wash it off,like you would when you lay them,then seal that one tile and see what happens,by the sounds of it the customer wasnt expecting the sealer to bring the natural clours out of the tiles which without looking for myself ,is whats probably happening also do they need sealing the reason why im asking is we done a floor wth a black stone tile which also had a shine to it then sealed it and it went even darker ,then when you spilt something on it i.e water and left it to dry white marks would appear shortly afterwards ,fortunately the customer supplied all of the gear as he felt he knew what he was buying so we still got paid ,ive agreed to go back in 6 months to see how they are ,you have said its on every tile are you 100% this is not actually in the tile

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Help needed with limestone floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.