Discuss HELP Please! Removing old heavy quarry tiles from a solid wall in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

TileNovice

Hi,

Firstly apologies because this post is going to be incredibly girly and I don't know anything about DIY but...

I have ended up with a house that is a project (don't ask how) and I'm spending thin air so I'm trying to do as much as possible myself (keep in mind I've never even hing a picture before)

In my hallway amongst other rooms I have quarry tiles on the floor and around the wall instead of skirting. I plan to leave them on the floor and possibly cover them at a later date (They are old ~1940/50 at a guess so very warn)

My problem is I need to remove the tiles that are on the walls. They have been painted with a white gloss and look dreadful (either way I want wood skirting) but my problem is how do I remove them? I've take 1 off so far in a 'suck it and see' style and the tile has take a quarter inch of wall of with it. They are all solid walls, brick with an inch or so or what looks like concreate but I don't know what it actually is around the brick - I did warn you this was going to be a very girly/nieve post.

Should I just accept that these tiles will take a huge amount of wall with them and I will have to have the walls plasterboarded and skimmed or is there a better way of removing the tiles so that I can save the walls and just touch up any minor damage before putting a skirting strain on them?

Any, and I do mean any, help would be greatly appreciated... thanks

T

TileNovice

Welcome!
You need to cut the plaster above the skirting to save the amount of damage expected.
Then unfortunately the tiles will bring all the backing off up to this point - and that will have to be repaired - unless you use 6 inch plus wood skirting .
Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks John, the walls aren't plastered. Ive since tried removing another and gave up. I couldnt get anything behind it to lever it off

dare i ask., is it likely i'm going to have to smash them off? Im now wondering if they were put there when the wall was cemented

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

thanks Dave, that doesnt mean anything to me but it's bugger. So its smash them off then repair the walls is the only way forward by the sound of it. Are there tools to do this? Like a mini jackhammer haha

If I am reading this correctly what you may have is an old quarry cove skirting, if I am right the top of the tiled skirting will have a round edge, and the bottom an inverted round edge to meet the floor tile.

These coves will have been fixed in 3-1 sand and cement, if you can use a bolster chisel and lump hammer between the tile and sand and cement bed, you may be able to remove the skirting tiles without causing to much damage.

I hope this helps, but some pics would be good, so we can see your problem, in more detail. Oh, and welcome to TF.:thumbsup:

T

TileNovice

If I am reading this correctly what you may have is an old quarry cove skirting, if I am right the top of the tiled skirting will have a round edge, and the bottom an inverted round edge to meet the floor tile.

These coves will have been fixed in 3-1 sand and cement, if you can use a bolster chisel and lump hammer between the tile and sand and cement bed, you may be able to remove the skirting tiles without causing to much damage.

I hope this helps, but some pics would be good, so we can see your problem, in more detail. Oh, and welcome to TF.:thumbsup:

yes! That's what they look like. Well done for getting that from my very inept descriptions haha. This is my job for the weekend so will get sorted and load up some pics. Thanks Phil.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to HELP Please! Removing old heavy quarry tiles from a solid wall in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hi All! Total DIY’er here- we’re in a project house which has drained us, and one of the final...
Replies
Views
We inherited split face tiles on a feature wall in our ensuite. In my naivety over the last few...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I'm really hoping you all can help as I am at my wits end. We have hired...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB