Discuss Help please - tiles falling off wall!! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

shellshock

Hello, I would be really grateful for your views and advice please.

We had en-suite and bathroom tiled during a major renovation job at the end of last year. We recently noticed that the tiles in both rooms appear to be loose so removed a couple from the bathroom wall. Well I say 'removed' in that once we had cut through the grout the tile came away in our hands.

I have attached some photos so that you can see. The adhesive is firmly fixed to the tile and there is none on the wall. The tiler used Larsen flexible adhesive which i supplied, simply because that's what our tile stockist carried. The builder is saying that the walls were primed and the tiler says he had never used Larsen before and has subsequently found out it is "cheap rubbish" - his words not mine.

009.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg

Does anyone have any view on what might have gone wrong?

Thanks for reading.
Shellshock

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 327
S

shellshock

Hi all, thanks very much for replies. I'm pretty sure the wall where we removed the tile was newly plastered (definitely not more than 2 weeks before, and most probably less) - not sure about the other walls. I don't know what primer was used, only that the builder is blaming the adhesive which was Larsen Flexible Fast Set. I saw on the packet that dot and dab isn't recommended, but does this method often cause problems? Yes, very glad that my 2 year old daughter didn't have a tile land on her head...

Thx all.

ps sorry about photos, are they really BIG?! i'm a newbie and a techno-phobe!

Del W

TF
Arms
Canterbury
Sorry to see that.Dot & dab,plaster not dryed before tiling? possibly no primer ? the tiles look way off the wall ! Wet your finger,press it onto the wall where there was no addy,if the moisture goes into the plaster quickly it proberbly wasnt primed correctly. Id be worried about the rest of the tiles aswell.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
How dangerous is this? It could any of the things listed above or a combination. Either way I would be getting back the builder who did this and get him to do it properly at his own expense, alternatively he should pay for a professional tiler to do the job on his behalf. He clearly hasn't prepped the wall correctly whichever way you look at it.

Was the floor tiled as well, as I would be looking for cracks in the grout already if not movement of tiles. Check very closely if thats the case, as that will more than likely need redoing.

S

shellshock

thanks for the heads up on the floor - yes, that was tiled too. I'll have a look at the grout to see if it is cracked. We've got the same thing in the en-suite shower too - you can see (and hear) the wall tiles move when pressed.

Is it possible to save the tiles? not that I particularly want to spend hours chopping off adhesive. Plus we used some quite expensive glass mosiacs as a border and in the shower...

T

The D

If the plaster is going dark when you wet it there is no primer on the wall and if there is no primer the cement based adhesive will not stick to the gypsum plaster so it is the builders problem ask him to provide a method statement detailing every step of the installation. The adhesive company's do not lay down for people like this they will probably want to test the adhesive and they will know if there is a primer present. I think the builder will have to take this one on the chin as the fixing method is wrong and the thickness of the bed looks like it exeads the recommended thickness.

Reply to Help please - tiles falling off wall!! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, hoping someone can help with advice. We purchased 600 x 600 tiles for our bathroom floor...
Replies
Views
Hi, it's my first time here and I'm desperate to solve this problem. Can someone please tell me...
Replies
Views
Hi there, We have red quarry tiles in our indoor entrance hall and my wife would like to paint...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone. Hope you are well. I want to learn how to tile and do a fairly basic bit of...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I'm really hoping you all can help as I am at my wits end. We have hired...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB