Discuss Help - Removing a single tile in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

jond500

Hi All,

Still tiling the bathroom... Anyway, I have a single tile that I want to remove as the gap between the top of the tile is far larger than all the others, I didn't notice it initially but now it's bugging me and want to remove it and replace it before I grout.

The tile is on the top row and going into a corner also. The substrate is 12mm hardibacker and the adhesive is Ultratile cement based flexible (Bagged not tubbed) Fortunately it is out of the tanked area.

I have watched a few video's on You Tube but they seem to be geared around complete ripouts. Tool wise I have Normal hammer drill, SDS, Cordless hammer drill, chisels etc.

How would you guys go about removing the tile and then the adhesive?

Obviously it would have been far easier to cut it the right size in the first place or take it off whilst the addy was still wet!!! Another lesson learnt!!

Cheers,

Jon.

J

jond500

Hi,

Thanks for taking a look, the gap at it's biggest is about 9mm.

uploadfromtaptalk1381852972225.jpg

The tile is the top row in the corner.

Cheers,

Jon.

J

jond500

Thanks all for your advice, I have just removed the tile along with the one next to it as advised above.

I taped the front face of the tiles with builders tape to stop small bits flying, I used a Purdy decorators multi tool as is has a steel cap. I'm now so not worried about tiles falling off the walls!!!!! They were bloody hard to get off!

Fortunately very minimal damage to the substrate and no damage to the remaining tiles :)

Looking forward to replacing them tomorrow.... That tile would have seriously peed me off! How much of a gap do you guys leave between the ceiling and tile?

As for the windows I have the stainless trim, that bit i'm really not worried about, the mitres etc. as i'm far happier working with steel but have squared the window prior to tiling.

Cheers,

Jon.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

cover up anything that could get damaged and hit it with a hammer!

or if you feel a more delicate approach is in order then here is a vid:

Exellent vid Lee, I used the same method when a plumber fitted the shower control upside down ( as they do) had same result with Hardie splitting as you. Used same repair as you, so thanks for sharing mate.:thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Help - Removing a single tile in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I recently got several loose/hollow tiles rebonded on my bathroom floor. Having left with...
Replies
Views
Does anyone have a DIY link or suggestions for removing just a single central tile from a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB