Discuss help setting out this wall in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

reeves1985

Finally got round to setting out tiles but i'm after a bit of help regarding setting out the most complicated wall which I need to get my horizontal line correct for to follow around the room.

I have added a little crude diagram of the wall with dimensions on.

The tiles I am using are 400x250 and the will be stacked landscape,

It seems everyway I try I end up with cuts that aren't ideal.
bathroom wall.jpg

:yikes:

Attachments

• bathroom.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 160
R

reeves1985

make a gauge with a piece of timber marking the tile size including spacers, then you can play about until you get the set out you want

Already got a gauge sorted I just can't seem to find a decent balance with the tiles

As above the window seems to be at an awkward height and the distance between that and the bath doesn't leave much room for maneuver
I seem to either get silly cuts at the ceiling or around window and floor

It's definately a head scratcher for me anyway
:surrender:

R

reeves1985

Remember that the focal point of the room is the bath and the window. The eye is naturally drawn to these points. Get these the best that you can and accept with the tile size chosen that the cuts to ceiling and floor are what they are.

Sorry haven't got back sooner I have had to go away for the week so all jobs stopped
back to it now though

I have noticed there will be a problem with slither cuts in the window sill and head if I centre the window as well to add to the confusion

With the tile size the way it is 398x248 and the window being 830 wide makes it a mare
if I center the window in the middle of the tile I have a bad cut at one side and could make a full tile at the other so will look daft
and if I centre it with the grout line on the sill and head in the reveals I end up 17mm shy with a 2mm grout line would make it 13mm tile and adhesive roughly 10mm so leaves a 3-4mm gap in theory (if everything is square and plumb which it should be as I did the work and plastering is my area )

Thought about bringing the side reveals out but the 4mm or so is critical as it would lose too much of the window frame

R

reeves1985

OCD
ITS ONLY A BATHROOM
Centre your window wall and have a play it shouldn't take to long
i don't want to sound rude but are you a professional tiler ? if not get one in and let him have the headache

Haha I must have a bit of ocd
not a pro tiler by any stretch plastering is my trade but some of the cowboys round here aren't worth their salt

Don't be daft your not coming across as rude
I just want to pick up the best tips I can.

I think I have decided on a route now so hopefully fingers crossed all should go well

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to help setting out this wall in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi there, Im a DIY tiler and am about to half height tile my downstairs toilet with 600x300...
Replies
Views
I need help on what prep I need to do. I have read on the forums here and I seem to be going...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. First time poster and tile diy. Thanks in advance for any and all help, tidbits...
Replies
Views
C
Hi, Running a small bathroom job for a customer. Customer really wants to use a particular...
Replies
Views
Hi, I bough two types of tiles, one of them being 300x600 rectified split face for a future...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB