UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Help - Tiles falling off in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Pastiemac

Hi, Hope someone can give me some good advice. We bought 32 x45 cm ceramic tiles for our shower room and asked for appropriate adhesive and grout to fix to green bathroom plasterboard. I now know that the tubs of Palace acrylic adhesive which we bought are definitely not the correct thing to use but too late now! I am in touch with the shop and manufacturer both for advice and a bit of a whinge but hoped someone could give me an unbiased comment. After about 3 weeks, tiles started falling off the wall. The adhesive had not dried other than in the spacer lines and although the impression of the tile back pattern showed beautifully on the adhesive, none was stuck to the tiles which fell off. It seems that it had good adherance to the wall though because after scraping off as much as I could, I have had to sand off the dry stuff. I decided to strip the wall above the shower tray as that was losing the most tiles. I have to sort all this out with the shop but I really want to ask whether the tiles that seem to be stuck at the moment will stay stuck or do I need to bite the bullet and strip all of the walls? I haven't yet grouted anything nor has the shower room been used. Grateful for any advice.

P

Pastiemac

Thanks everyone. Not the answer I wanted but better to do it now rather than later. I will go and get a cement based adhesive. Any suggestions? Also, I'd better ask, the grout is weber joint pro. Is this ok or have I been given duff grout too?

Re the skin, I'm pretty sure that isn't the problem as two of us were working, one applying the adhesive and the other placing the tiles. It seems from the batch number of the adhesive that it is from May 2011 which I'm told is quite old. Maybe that has compounded the situation.

T

Time's Ran Out

:welcome: - I answered a thread on a similar subject a while ago, based on advice from staff in shops.

The tiles that were supplied were of similar size to yours and porcelain. The shop/warehouse insisted that they would only guarantee their tiles if you used their adhesive - Palace tubbed at £25-00 a tub.
When I refused to use the adhesive supplied, and the customer had 4 buckets, he was prepared for me to walk as he believed their story. It was only when I substituted his kitchen splashback adhesive for fast set flexible cement based powder that we carried on with the job. I went online to Palace chemicals and phoned their technical department to check the information and although not clear, they go along with other manufacturers and give a maximum 30x30cm for this adhesive.
With it being a dispersion adhesive and with a vitrified tiles the only place it can dry is through the joints and this could take months/years/if ever.
I'd have got the technical info sheet and taken it to your tile shop and claimed against them - wrong adhesive for tile type and size.

R

Rich

Whatever caused the tile to come away, that adhesive should not have been sold to fix those tiles, so I would be on the phone to who sold it to you.

You will want to get yourself a standard setting, cement based adhesive and defiantly use a larger trowel then 5mm. As said above, try an 8mm and pop a tile off, if you are not happy with how much contact you have between the tile and the adhesive then back butter the tiles as well before pressing/twisting them into the adhesive bed.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Help - Tiles falling off in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I’ve got a job using marble geometric mosaics about 10 mm thick. I’ve tried several blades to...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.