UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss help tiles popped up in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Y

ythan

Strange, interesting, and very unfortunate.

agree it sounds like there's been differential horizontal movement between the concrete base, and the tile overlay.

and this could be due to the tiles expanding due to warm kitchen or

could be that, as the tiles were laid when the concrete base was new, over time, the concrete slab has shrunk horizontally. The tile ovelay is stiff and will resist the shrinkage and hence it's maybe got pushed up in the middle (arching). If flexible grout has been used then some of the shrinkage may have been accommodated by compression in the grout lines. Was flexible grout used?

Poor priming may have not have given a sufficiently strong bond to the addy to keep the tiles stuck down; to absorb the compression forces, caused by the concrete slab shrinkage, and hence they've sprung up as an arch.

Surprised it seems to have all managed to stay intact, with no report of any tile displacing when it's walked on, or where there is a chair, table etc.

Is the situation the same in both the small and the larger room? Does the hollowness appear to be within the center of the rooms? Agree it would be a good idea to lift a tile to see what's going on.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to help tiles popped up in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
I recently got several loose/hollow tiles rebonded on my bathroom floor. Having left with...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.