Discuss Help: Which primer for SHOWER SPLASH area ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ito.Lemma

Members,

I'm retiling the splash area of a shower. A shower mixer joint started leaking very slowly, so tiles and plaster had to be removed to rectify the leaking joint. The joint seems fine now, and the wall has been replastered and had over 6 weeks to dry.

I'm not planning on retiling the entire shower, just a section of the splash area (so I want to avoid the expense of a waterproofing/tanking kit).

Have been going round in circles trying to work out if primer is needed and if so which one ?

I understand that PVA should be avoided, but considering the location to be retiled is directly underneath the shower hence subject to continual wetness, what is the best value for money primer to use in this situation, since I've heard/read a confusing range of opinions ?

• BAL APD
  • Mapei Primer G (water based: is this OK to use in a splash area ?)
  • Nicobond (which product ?)

Would really appreciate some sound advice !:helpsmilie:

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Scott

Members,

I'm retiling the splash area of a shower. A shower mixer joint started leaking very slowly, so tiles and plaster had to be removed to rectify the leaking joint. The joint seems fine now, and the wall has been replastered and had over 6 weeks to dry.

I'm not planning on retiling the entire shower, just a section of the splash area (so I want to avoid the expense of a waterproofing/tanking kit).

But your happy to end up with the same situation again? If you want sound advice, tank it and use a cement based adhesive

C

Colour Republic

By the sound of though lads it was just a small section of the plaster and tiles that were removed to fix the leak, so tanking just a small area isn't really going to be much use in this instance.

I know we'd all like to tank the whole shower and retile but by the sounds of it that is never going to happen here.

OP the primers you've mentioned are fine although bare in mind that no matter how well you do a small area the rest of it may have already been damaged, I would check for any extra blown tiles in the shower now rather than later

I

Ito.Lemma

Thanks for the replies Gents ...
(whoops, given the recent news about female Linespersons that may be classed as sexist).

Have opted for the Mapei G, and applied it diluted with water 1:1. The surface area turned out to be fairly small, to the extent that only a very small amount was used!

Am in agreement with Whitebeam and Scottley that tanking should really have been used, nevertheless in this instance Colour Republic seems to have judged the requirements quite accurately.

To have properly tanked, I would have had to dismantle the shower, remove numerous tiles and possibly replaster a larger area. I would definitely have done this if starting afresh, or if a larger area has been affected.

Fortunately, other tiles in the vicinity seem to be fine, due to the limited water diffusion.

Thanks again for your prompt and sound advice :thumbsup:

Reply to Help: Which primer for SHOWER SPLASH area ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
B
Evening all, My first post here so please be gentle with me!;) I'm redoing the kitchen and...
Replies
Views
B
D
Hi I'm posting for somebody I know who needs help completing some toilet facilities in a new...
Replies
Views
Z
Hi Everyone You guys helped me out last year and I did our bathroom/level access shower which...
Replies
Views
K
I'm a diy lover and I've been getting lots of work done myself, or with some help from pro's...
Replies
Views
Ronald
R

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Help: Which primer for SHOWER SPLASH area ?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.