Discuss Help! Why have my bathroom tiles cracked?? in the Best Bathroom Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

R

renovator

Hello all,

Can anyone help advise what may have caused our bathroom wall tiles to crack? We need to know the reason so that we can resolve this with our builder and who bears the cost of repair.

The cracks are on a stud wall that runs along the length of the bath, and the tiles runs from the floor to about a foot lower than the ceiling. They’re large rectangular tiles from ********** (appear to be decent quality) and they’re laid jagged like bricks and not like a grid. We first noticed the cracks 2-3 months after the new bathroom was installed. The cracks run like two large jagged cracks vertically down across the centre of the tiles (apprx 10 tiles in total) and had not initially effected the grouting at all until recently. The tiles appear to be imploding on themselves as the cracks are very fine and are causing small flakes of tile in the centre of the cracks. There are also many wavy horizontal stress marks along the tiles but none have developed into proper cracks.

At the top edge of the tiles where they stop near the ceiling there is a 4mm crack between the wall and the tiles where we’re able to comfortably slide a large kitchen knife from one side of the wall to the other. The tiles sound hollow to knock them all the way down to the edge of the bath tub.

Our builder has blamed movement of the house because our neighbour downstairs removed a wall, but they say is just a stud wall towards the rear of the house, and our bathroom is towards the front so I’m not convinced that that is the reason. It’s an old victorian house which had been neglected until us and the neighbours bought the flats and are both renovating. There are hairline cracks all over the place, including one on the ceiling of the communal hallway that runs directly beneath the length of the bathroom wall in question. It’s quite likely that this was either already there when we moved in, or could have been caused when we had our bathroom and kitchen redone. It’s not near where the neighbours removed their wall.

On the other side of the bathroom stud wall is the kitchen, there are no cracks on the wall from what we can see, but the floor tile grouting cracked within 2 weeks of the kitchen floor being laid. Our builder initially agreed to correct the work to be done at a later date when he comes to finish something else off, but now that he’s seen the bathroom he has put it down to the same issue of movement. We have been happy the rest of the work he’s done so would like to resolve this amicably and fairly.

Any ideas what could have caused this cracking, or how we determine for sure what has caused it?? If we remove a tile and there is no cracking on the wall itself does this mean that the cause has not been movement? It’s been suggested to us that the glue behind the tiles was not left long enough to dry, or that not enough glue was used. The tiles on the smaller wall at each end of the bath are fine (one outer wall, one load baring). Our builder also said that the tiles were put directly onto the wall, and not on any type of board - could that be the problem?

Thanks for any help or advice!

R

renovator

Thanks for your quick responses. Here are some photos of the damage. As mentioned before, the grouting was in tact until only recently. I need to try and get a method statement from our builder to post you. 1.jpg 2.jpg

Upvote 0
S

Stef

The pictures haven't came out very well but what I can see of picture 2 those tiles will be dot & dabbed onto that wall.
I would hazard a guess that the walls are ply wood & this crack in the tiles is following the join between 2 sheets of ply.
Measure from the wall either side to the crack & check the distance (1220mm?)
& from the post I see you say "Builder" done the tiling, that's where most of the problems will arise from.

Upvote 0
T

TJ Smiler

Your problem is the builder doing the tiling. Not saying he is a bodger or bad tradesman but a lot of builders work with naivety when it comes to tiling. Builders are builders, tilers are tilers and you wouldn't see a tiler trying to quote for putting your foundations in (even if they did have an idea how to do it) my guess is the same as the lads above, wrong products, wrong fixing methods and possibly wrong background for a bathroom.

Upvote 0
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Help! Why have my bathroom tiles cracked?? in the Best Bathroom Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

First time poster here. For some context, I have a (mostly finished) tiny home with some really...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Morning all. Dan asked me to post up a thread about our training centre which he can then use...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB