UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Help with old quarries in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
I've just done a travertine floor in an old cottage, but in the hallway, found under the carpet is some old quarry tiles. The home owner was hoping to clean these up and regrout, seal etc. I did try so grout residue remover by Fila (available at topps) seemed to clean them up pretty well. But i only did a little patch to see if they could, potentially be cleaned. Worth a try?

F

Fionnuala

I've just done a travertine floor in an old cottage, but in the hallway, found under the carpet is some old quarry tiles. The home owner was hoping to clean these up and regrout, seal etc. I did try so grout residue remover by Fila (available at topps) seemed to clean them up pretty well. But i only did a little patch to see if they could, potentially be cleaned. Worth a try?

Thanks AliGage. Will look into this. In this case there's no dpc and we've cleaned the tiles reasonably well but there is now some efflorescence - probably too much water used in the cleaning. I wondered what the best way to deal with the efflorescence is before sealing. also what is the best sealer given that the tiles need to breathe?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Help with old quarries in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Help please! Victorian red quarry tiled floor... Cleaned with bleach..... Its stained, is there...
Replies
Views
Gazzawade
G
Hello All, I would just like to start off by saying that I've been in the construction industry...
Replies
Views
Help! I have Victorian quarry tiles laid on dirt. I’ve just spent days cleaning them first with...
Replies
Views
Hello, I recently lifted some modern tiles to reveal the original Victorian Tiles (Actually...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.