UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss help with shower enclosure in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

stevepmc2214

Im tiling inside a shower enclosure and am going to take the tiles up to the edge of the enclosure. The tile edge facing the outside of the enclosure will be the cut edge.
do i need to put a tile trim on this tile ? It will be flush with the enclosure. Or could I run a bead of silicone down it?
will i run into problems trying to drill through the edge of the tile to fix the enclosure to the wall?

Thanks for any advice

S

stevepmc2214

I may have to tile about 25mm just outside the enclosure (or level with the tray as the enclosure is 15mm inside the tray).
The fixing points for the enclosure would only be around 10mm in from the edge of the tile so if I finished flush i would probably hit the back of the chrome tile trim when drilling the fixings.

For the bottom row of tiles up against the shower tray would you seal with silicone or would you recommend using a sealent strip thats meant for baths and shower trays?

I. U can tile up to enclosure. Than fix screen straight to the wall. finish with silicon bed.
II. 15mm should be enough but make sure u got very well laid adhesive under the tile!

For the bottom row of tiles up against the shower tray would you seal with silicone or would you recommend using a sealent strip thats meant for baths and shower trays?
I always use silicon :)

I'm not a pro tiler jet, if my opinion is bad please correct me :)

Thank U!

B

bugs183

Hiya.
Are you thinking of tiling the shower walls to the edge of the tray and then fitting the shower screen rails over the tiles, or having the tiles butt up to the rails which are fixed directly to the wall.
The first way is the best as the tiles keep the shower waterproofed behind the shower screen. I'd be tempted to try and have full tiles on the outside of the walls and have the tile cuts into the corner of the cubicle, unless they work out very small.
The other method where you butt the tiles up to the shower screen is not a good method and will lead to problems.
Always use silicon, the strips are useless and if anything trap more water. Tile and grout your shower, Leave to dry thoroughly, then Silicon with either Dow Corning or Mapei Mapesil, not B&Q silicons.
Silicon, up the shower internal corners, and along where the tray meets the walls, always continue the silicon to the edge of the tray as people often leave this area behind where the shower screen goes, this is a major leak area.
Allow to dry, fix screen, then silicon the outside ot the screen only, this way any water in the screen can get back into the tray.

S

stevepmc2214

Thank you for your very detailed reply! You answered most of my questions in one post!
I was trying to explain to the father in law that I'm only going to silicone the outside of the screen and he thought I was mad!
Im going to use the 1st method and if I used a full tile it would have ended up a slither in the corner.
I'm going to test on a scrap tile because as I said, if I tile level with the screen I'd be drilling the fixings very close to the tile edge so I may tile level with the tray so I'm drilling about 25mm in rather than 10-15mm...........

B

bugs183

Cheers!
Yea that is a way to drill your tiles better, tile to the outside edge of the try, then move the screen into the enclosure 15mm or so, rthen your tiles will be stronger there.
Mark the holes onto masking tape, then using a small nail just tap a hole gently through the masking tape and a make little dent in the glaze. Then use a small pilot masonary bit, then once thats drill use the correct size drill bit for your rawl plugs. If the tiles are Porcelain, you'll need porcelain drill bits, and always hold a damp sponge against the bit to collect dust and to stop the bit overheating.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to help with shower enclosure in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Is there anyway of getting a good fixing, where the upright of the shower enclosure meets the...
Replies
Views
Hi, first timers here... I am tiling my bathrooms and prefer the look & neatness of tiling...
Replies
Views
Hi, We're currently adding an en-suite to a downstairs bedroom, everything is going well so far...
Replies
Views
Would anybody have any advice the best way to silicone these bumpy tiles. I think doing a bead...
Replies
Views
Been advised to move this post to the uk forum, didn’t realise it was in the USA forum Would...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.