Discuss Help with wall prep in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

BigAl

Hi, I'm about to start on my bathroom and need a bit of advice regarding current state of the walls. As you can see from the pictures, the old tiles were tiled onto plaster and removing them has pulled a lot of the plaster with them, leaving the render beneath showing.
I was wondering if it would be ok to chip off as much of the old plaster that's left (the loose stuff), then tile onto the render? Would I need to prime the render first? Many thanks.

Attachments

• fr_696_size640.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 80
  • fr_695_size640.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 83
C

CJ CERAMICS

Are you planning to tile from floor to ceiling all the way around or just were the old tiles were?
What size tiles are you planning to use?

If you are planning to retile the whole room i would be inclined to reboard the whole room rather than risk tiling onto the walls as is.
this tends to be a cheaper option than having the walls reskimmed. And can be done by any diyer aslong as time is not an issue.

hope this helps.
chris

T

tfs

I found myself in a similar position today. We removed two layers of tiles in an old tennemant flat in Edinburgh which took half the lime plaster off with it. We are gonna dot and dab plasterboard to three walls in the room to give us a good surface to tile to. Before doing this we will be removing all old plaster on the three walls and will straighten out the fourth wall before plastering and then tiling once all other work has been done.

I think the plaster under your skim coat there looks pretty sound so you may want to remove the skim coat, prime walls and reskim unless you are removing all sanitryware in which case you could sheet all walls easy enough.

D

DHTiling

If it is sand cement render underneath then you can prime and tile but if that is Gypsum base coat then NO!! you cannot tile straight to it.... you will need to either skim or use a patching plaster to consolidate the surface.

Also, that window board needs to come off as that will cause the tiles to crack as it swells with moisture and thermal heat from the sun through the window etc..

And that right hand side window reveal needs sorting.. see that crack running down the wall..?

B

BigAl

Thanks for the replies. I've chipped off the skim coat that's loose and it's only a couple of mm thick so I'm going to tile right over it and hopefully lose the difference in the adhesive. There are a couple of spots I may wack a bit of plaster on first that are really low.

How long will the plaster need to have dried out before I can prime and tile?

Also, what is best to prime the walls with? PVA?

Many thanks again.

Reply to Help with wall prep in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

What would you guys do with the walls to prep for fitting 1200mm x 600mm Onice Verde (Porcelain)...
Replies
Views
Some helpful advice/opinion would be appreciated... Existing tiles on walls, some of the walls...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, hoping someone can help with advice. We purchased 600 x 600 tiles for our bathroom floor...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Help with wall prep
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.