UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Help with wet room, any and all welcome in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

V

VicTim

Hi im in belfast and been reading the fourms for a while now, lots of good stuff here, but i feel i need personal advise.

ok so we bought our first house, fixer-upper and doing most of the work ourselves (myself?) ha

upstairs bathroom was 2 rooms, small room with sink and like a 4-5ft bath, then a smaller room next to it with toilet. we were going to knock the wall down but upon closer inspection we noticed the wall is supporting where the main beams meet for the roof, got build regs out and he confirmed taking the wall down would involve some serious work and a super beam lol

so i thought block the small room door up put the toilet and sink in the bigger room, and cut a hole in the wall and make a walk in wet room with a drencher shower (she loved it) so the hole has been cut and beam put in, the hole is 6ft high and 800mm wide with a step around 2 brick high (undecided yet)

so heres where i need help: i will try to give as much info as poss, so if its all over the place forgive me, im wrecked lol ;)

wet room is roughly 1m wide and 2.5m long, back wall has a window which will be bricked up and the shower put on it, left and right walls are both brick 1 course. inside wall is a doorway which will be studded and maybe glass shelves.
the entrance will be on the left wall. the walls are mostly stripped to the brick (will i rough plaster them?)

the whole room will be tiled floor and walls, maybe that pvc stuff on the celing?
i dont want to use a 'tray' and i am thinking about using something like the marmox 6mm tile backer boards for the floor and as much up the wall as needed

so without a try will the wooden floors be safe with this stuff or will i put wb ply down or do i need more serious tanking? do i angle the ply slightly at the back for my run to the drain or do that with the tiles themselves?

i am in desprate need of help and advise as i got totally lost online with all the wet room options (everyone said theirs was best lol:mad2:)

anyway thanks for reading and please give me your thoughts, weather they be on materials or just a diffrent way of doing it. i will try to get some pics up if needed

V

VicTim

i will get pics tomorrow, totally forgot to being cam today :(
floors feel fine, i mean i havnt tested too much yet but will do it tomorrow too.

as for the tray im not sure, i thought might be better without the tray because the whole room will be a walk in shower. its 0.75m x 1.85m so i didnt know if i could find a tray that size, the floor level in there has to be all the same like. to be honest the more i read the more confused im getting lol

thanks for the welcome fellas :) ill get pics up tomorrow.

you think i should get a tray? and do i realy need one? is that stuff nopt good enough on its own? (the tile backer boards)

D

davemul

'wet room trays' otherwise known as 'formers' are designed to be level with the floor mate. Do not confuse them with normal shower trays.

The wet room tray is installed and then the floor around it so eveything is flush. The former will have a built in gradient and will be waterproof. All you do is connect your drain to it.

Google 'marmox showerstone' This is a tray that screws directly t the joists, and the surrounding floor buts up to it.

check out my wetroom thread in my sig.. LOADS of pictures showing this :)

Q

Qwerty

As everybody else has said really........ ensure no deflection (bounce) in the floor. This may involve strengthening floor with noggins between joists, and min 18mm ply down if old floor is unsuitable. Ply screwed @ 300mm centres (I always fix @ 150mm) using suitable screws.

You can choose a Marmox shower stone as Davemul has said, which fits directly to joists, or a Marmox showerlay which beds down onto the existing (or replaced) floor. Then overboard the remainder of the floor with Marmox boards or cement backer boards to meet the top edge of the wetroom former. Cement boards will need fully tanking though. Marmox is a far better option.

Once walls all prepped & primed, you can then tank the walls with either Marmox (or equivalent) ....but dont use less than 12.5mm on the walls if fixing by dot & dab method. Thinner boards can be fitted by mechanical fixings & tile adhesive. If its a stud wall, then min of 10mm can be used. You could always tank the walls instead with a paint on liquid membrane, such as Mapei Mapegum (they sell a complete shower waterproofing kit).

You will also need to tank the joint between former and floor backer boards, the joints between the walls & former. Joints between Marmox boards are sealed using an acrylic sealant (can be further tanked using Mapegum & Mapeband tape)

Just a quick question, why are you getting rid of a window? Wet rooms can function just fine with windows (depends on height & material of course), but will wait to see all of your photos first.

These should help you with your plans..........

Marmox Boards
[DLMURL]http://www.marmox.co.uk/uploads/product_images/47/MarmoxBoardsProductSheet.pdf[/DLMURL]
[DLMURL]http://www.marmox.co.uk/uploads/product_images/47/Marmoxfittinginstructions.pdf[/DLMURL]
[DLMURL]http://www.marmox.co.uk/uploads/product_images/47/FixingWallTiles.pdf[/DLMURL]
[DLMURL]http://www.marmox.co.uk/uploads/product_images/47/FixingFloorTiles.pdf[/DLMURL]
http://www.marmox.co.uk/uploads/product_images/47/FixingFloorTiles.pdf
Plenty of advice right here on the forum, just type what you want in the search box at the top right of your screen. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
V

VicTim

Hi sorry for the delay, couldnt find the usb for the cam. anyway here are the pics i took today and also a silly design i worked up in paint.

so as you can see its a odd shaped room, i had 2 ideas in mind but im not sure about 1, first i was gona use marmot backer boards over the whole room and for the floor i was thinking id use wb ply cut to fit and put straight on the joist's. but at the back of the room raise the joist's by 10mm (this enough for a fall?) and put extra ones beside them while falling to the shower end with a gulley drain the whole length of the back wall. how does this sound?

number 2 came from what all you guys said, i buy a Marmox Showerlay Former either 1000x1000 or 1300x800 and cut them to fit the shower end and use the backer boards to tank the rest of the room.

now im stuck here, the hole i cut in the wall, well i was gona put a step in there maybe 2 brick high so the shower room is like its own little space, but my gf's dad said this might look silly and should just be floor level all the way through. any thoughts on this?

wetroom.jpg
wetroom2.jpg as you can see its a very small seprate room, the door from where the pic was took will be blocked up as will the window, the shower will be where the window/toilet is now, with the entrance to the left there room is 825x1650mm.
wetroomstep.jpg should i build a step here or leave it flat? i think a step would make the room easier to tank?

anyway let me know what you think :) thanks for all the info so far. i will be using these phg guy. gona go check if they deliver to northern ireland now

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Help with wet room, any and all welcome in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I am installing a shower/wet room in an upstairs on suite. Shower tray will be installed...
Replies
Views
Hi, We're currently adding an en-suite to a downstairs bedroom, everything is going well so far...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.