Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Help ! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dannyjm

hey guys
new to the forum and to some extent tiling to , i went to price a job today and all the walls had like corigated paper on .the guy said he cant get it off and i had a go and neither could i he said the other tilers said all you have to do is score it all over and pva and then you can tile straight ontop can you do this ???

also i dont know why but i keep measuring in feet instead of metres probably cause i a bit thick when i comes to maths find it hard to work out my square metres :-s i just feel like ive lost my confidence a bit with only being 19 and starting out in tiling on your own is hard i even rang around 30 local tilers to see if i could get any expierence with them and no noone is taking anyone on so just gotta go do it myself.
please guys can you help also if i get the job going to use ready mix adhesive can anyone recomend any i did use maipie once and it was really good .

C

Colour Republic

It seems all the other tilers didn't know what they were talking about or the HO was making it up. Never tile over a paper backing, it has to come off i'm afraid. It sounds like somebody has wallpapered directly onto plasterboard and as such it woun't come off. It quicker and easier to replace the plasterboard.

Also PVA shouldn't be used in tiling, you want an SBR at the very least. How big are these tiles and in what room are they going?

D

dannyjm

im confused to what it it is on the walls its like its a artex wall but the bits that peel look like paper it all onto concrete walls , also having a major problem with working it all out into square meetres as i went and measured in feet and inches i need to get back to him with how many square meetres it is and a quote to do it its given me a big headache but was reffered by a mate cause there his mates who want the job done :sad:

C

Colour Republic

working out the area is the easiest part, do a search in google for 'inches to cm' or 'feet to meters' it will come up with some online conversion calculators, imput you measurements and hey presto it will give you the area in meters.

EDIT: or just use Martyns link:lol:

First leason is you should always take a camera with you when quoting, it's very easy to forget certain details after you've left and can be a bit of a pain to make an excuse to go back.

How did you try to remove the paper? did you just picked at it? or did you wet it first?

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Colour Republic

Does the customer have the funds to do the job right or do you get the feeling he might be after cutting some corners trying to save money?

The reason for it not being plastered could either be A) The plasterer refused to plaster over the paper or B) the HO told him not to because he thought it could be tiled on to. Which ever way you look at it, the paper will have to come of, that is either by stripping it or replacing the walls. If it's a plastered wall I'd be very surprised if this paper couldn't be removed, hard work maybe but should still come off one way or the other

C

Colour Republic

it's roughly 22sqm, not allowing for wastage, you could normally add around 10% for wastage so that would be 24sqm BUT it does depend on the size of tiles and setting out, so you could get away with less or much more

width of room x height of room
the minus any large fixtures and fittings that may be in the room so windows for example width of window x height of window (this figure can then be deducted from the total area)

Reply to Help ! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Help !
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.